My $100 L-door

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: My $100 L-door

Post by De Soto Frank »

Given Victor's use of whatever hardware was in stock, I don't think anyone could say you're "wrong" to do so...

:)
De Soto Frank

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Is the horn there? I may have one or two parts kicking around.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

No horn, but another member has offered one to me and the correct board. I appreciate your offer, though!

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Well I got all the parts together! I really like this machine! Thanks to all who helped me find this stuff!
Attachments
IMG_0756.JPG

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Congratulations! My L-door is my favorite player. Looks good and sounds good.

Andreas

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

alang wrote:Congratulations! My L-door is my favorite player. Looks good and sounds good.

Andreas
I agree, with a rebuilt exhibition this is one of my smoothest players! And it is a totally classic cabinet!

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Greg,

The machine looks really nice. I also talked to the guy selling but got discouraged after looking at the additional photos he sent me and noticing all of the wrong parts including the motor, tone arm, additional hole made for the wrong crank, etc. The horn also looked really strange. Did you also end up changing the horn?

Thanks,

AR

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

It's nice to see one back from the brink. One more wine rack avoided. Nice job and congratulations on a nice machine.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

apruizii wrote:Greg,

The machine looks really nice. I also talked to the guy selling but got discouraged after looking at the additional photos he sent me and noticing all of the wrong parts including the motor, tone arm, additional hole made for the wrong crank, etc. The horn also looked really strange. Did you also end up changing the horn?

Thanks,

AR
Yeah, it was a cheap radio horn made of paper mache and yes, I did end up replacing it with the correct horn. The machine turned out quite nice. Here's a picture I took of the original mechanical setup. I still need to repair the crank holes but I'm really happy I got an L door in serviceable shape within my budget.
Django wrote:It's nice to see one back from the brink. One more wine rack avoided. Nice job and congratulations on a nice machine.
Thanks! I try my best to outsmart the wine rackers. The album cabinet would have worked very well for wine bottles :shock:. At $200 it wasn't quite off the radar of those people. Just glad I got to it when I did, and that the people were nice and willing to negotiate!
Attachments
IMG_0704 (1).JPG

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

I currently own 3 L Doors. two are XVI's and one is a VTLA. Congrats on getting everything together. I'm looking for a turntable for my VTLA along with the 3 of the four gold bolts that hold the horn to the victrola. This is the VTLA in the thread on this page "What type of walnut".