My $100 L-door

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

My $100 L-door

Post by GregVTLA »

Yesterday, I rescued this L-door from some abusive owners. They drilled new holes in the side, and replaced the works from a 1920s VV-X. It represents most of my Christmas money, and it may be a while before I get all of the parts together. It came supplied with an early round-hole exhibition sound box as well. Hoping I can find the correct parts some day without breaking the bank. But for now, I am happy with my cabinet and I really like this design.

Before:
Last edited by GregVTLA on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Re: My $100 L-door

Post by GregVTLA »

Could anyone provide a snap from the Victor data book for this model? I need to know what parts to get (bullet or tab brake, type of speed indicator etc.)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Lots of VTLA parts in the classifieds right now.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Is the serial / patents plate still with it ?

I have a very similar L-door, a 1909 "C", which is over-stamped on top of "B". My cabinet does not have the decorative "frieze" beneath the lid ( same as yours ).

Mine also has the round-hole needle chuck.

Hardware is gold-plated, round-knob speed control, bullet brake, and reproducer rests on TOP of the tapering arm.

Mine has the VTLA-type record boxes.

If you're patient, you will find the correct parts.

:coffee:
De Soto Frank

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Yup, mine is serial 39217 C. The round hole reproducer was nickel, I'm not sure if this machine would have had it originally though. I'd need to know when they made the switch to top-rest arms. The one album I have is the brown paper rings type.

Greg

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I guess that explains why it sat there on the DC area Craigslist so long at the low asking price. Oh, well, at least they didn't convert it into a bar. Congrats, and good luck bringing it back to its original glory!

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

I'm really glad they didn't! At least I've got something to work on. The machine was only up a few days and they were moving and needed it gone fairly soon. Even though some of these parts will be expensive, I'm going to have fun working on this!
Last edited by GregVTLA on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Nice find. Good luck with the restoration. Be patient and you will have something special.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

GregVTLA wrote:Yup, mine is serial 39217 C. The round hole reproducer was nickel, I'm not sure if this machine would have had it originally though. I'd need to know when they made the switch to top-rest arms. The one album I have is the brown paper rings type.

Greg

Mine is 19362 C/B. 1909 on the paper license label inside the back.

Reproducer is Exhibition # 356016

Victor-Victrola page indicates that your s/n dates from 1911, with suffix changing to "D" around # 43500.

Also suggests that the Tab-brake was introduced on suffix-C machines, but older hardware continued to be used due to shortages.

Is the motor-board still present with your cabinet ?

:coffee:
De Soto Frank

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

I don’t have a motor board. I’m thinking I’ll just implement the bullet brake since I like that better.