Sonora Louis XV and other under appreciated machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: Sonora Louis XV and other under appreciated machines

Post by Django »

Victor VII wrote:Sonora's close relationship with Herzog cabinet company is no doubt a factor in the striking presence of their upright and console units. The bombe cabinet models (and many of these consoles that forum members are discussing with great frequency) give these Sonora's major presence in any home or collection. The quality of the veneers and the more robust scaling of the hardware (including wooden tonearms) adds to the effect--IMHO puts them up there aesthetically with Victor's counterparts.
I love Victrola’s, but at the risk of having to go into hiding, I feel the cabinetry and aesthetics of some Sonora machines surpasses many Victor Victrolas. There is still something special about a Victrola. Just like a Harley, If it has to be explained, you wouldn’t understand. It’s more emotional than logical.

Pierce-Arrow
Victor I

Post by Pierce-Arrow »

tictalk wrote:At 53" tall this Sonora may be a little to tall to be considered a console. It has the wood tone arm and a huge 4 spring gold plated motor. Its a little dusty I just drug it out of storage. To your point of consoles being looked down upon is the Victrola 330 which is absolutely beautifully designed graceful cabinet.

Absolutely love it! Unusual LARGE cabinet phonographs and radios are my favorite. Here are a few photos of my machines. 1933 RCA VICTOR Model 280 Radio carved cabinet. 1927 Victor 9-55 Radio/Phonograph, and a 1929 Victor RE-45 Radio carved cabinet. I play these everyday as they are meant to be.

Thank you for sharing your photo of the Sonora!

Keith :coffee:
Attachments
IMG_0894.jpg
IMG_0893.jpg
IMG_0798.jpg

Pierce-Arrow
Victor I

Post by Pierce-Arrow »

audiophile102 wrote:This is the lowboy that I would really love to own. It came up for sale a while back, but it was very far from Illinois so I didn't even bid on it. Sonora cabinets are really outstanding. Your Louis XV is really beautiful as well.
Sonora Chippendale 2.jpg

This was my favorite Sonora. The construction, wood and the parts they used were of high quality and no doubt shows it! I sold it to a fellow member on the forum to make way for a larger machine.

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

Wow those are amazing machines Keith, not to mention the period décor.

Pierce-Arrow
Victor I

Post by Pierce-Arrow »

tictalk wrote:Wow those are amazing machines Keith, not to mention the period décor.

Thank you!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

tictalk wrote:Wow those are amazing machines Keith, not to mention the period décor.
I second this. Fantastic items.

Pierce-Arrow
Victor I

Post by Pierce-Arrow »

gramophone78 wrote:
I second this. Fantastic items.
Thank you!

P.S. Post your photos of, "under appreciated machines!"