Sonora Louis XV and other under appreciated machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Sonora Louis XV and other under appreciated machines

Post by Django »

I had one of these more than 40 years ago and have always regretted selling it, but money was tight with 2 young daughters, so away it went. This is not the same machine, but it is the same model and year and it is in very nice condition. I bought it from an antique shop in Vermont last week and he bought it from the son of the original owner. It still has the original record storage sleeves and the Gold Plated motor is beautiful, (almost a shame to have it in the case). At $300.00, I may have paid more than many would for a lowboy Sonora, but I jumped on it anyway.

Machines like this Sonora and comparable Brunswicks don't seem to excite too many collectors, but they fit nicely in front of a window and provide some shelf space too. You could actually put this machine in the middle of a room because the back is nicely finished. With the ability to play lateral and vertical cut records, I think that a good Sonora or Brunswick is a great machine, especially for anyone not wanting to have an Edison, Pathé and Victrola.

Anyway, I am glad to have found another Louis XV Sonora, and this one should be able to stay with me.
Attachments
4.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Sonora Louis XV and other under appreciated machines

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Very nice machine in a beautiful setting! I'm sure you'll enjoy your Sonora even more than the first!
Thanks for posting!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, collectors are a funny bunch and the collecting community sets basic values. Fabulous consoles are under appreciated. I've always been amazed at the value of an electric Victrola compared to a spring driven one. Now consider the difference in value between an electric Triumph (Alva) and a spring driven Triumph. Jerry Blais

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Post a picture of a console in a discussion group and you are likely to get comments from "Space Filler" to absolutely foul.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

estott wrote:Post a picture of a console in a discussion group and you are likely to get comments from "Space Filler" to absolutely foul.
Exactly the point of the title and I take no offense. The hole issue is really perception.

Only 13" wider than a Victrola VV-XVI, but able to be placed in front of a window and providing 20" shelf space for accessories. It is also only 20" deep and provides space underneath for storage of record albums or cylinder machine lids. Some of the nicer Victor consoles like the 230 and 330 provide no shelf space but are still beautiful machines, on par with a VV-XVII, but available for a third the price.

I would love to have this Sonora Louis XV DeLuxe as a "Space Filler".
Attachments
SonoraL8.jpg
SonoraL8.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
SonoraL3.jpg
SonoraL3.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Your right, its a wonderful machine. In the right setting a console often has a more pleasing sound and look than an upright. I once had the large american walnut upright with wood tone arm and Bombay cabinet. For some reason I never in those days could get the sound as I thought it should play from the reproducer. Perhaps now I could? Any attractive and unusual cabinet is appealing to me, no matter the name. I have seen a few beautiful Silvertone machines out here in the country side, but often they were not taken care of and beyond fixing. Well then the pot metal that became so popular also prevents many from working correctly.

Larry

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I have just one console, an Edison BC 34. For daily use I find the uprights so much easier to wind than leaning rather far over for the consoles, though I'm a bit vertically-challenged anyway! :) Plus the horn is closer to the floor, affecting the sound IMO.
It's a challenge for me to not let the top surface become a storage space for records and accessories, making it less likely I'll play records on it!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

barnettrp21122 wrote:I have just one console, an Edison BC 34. For daily use I find the uprights so much easier to wind than leaning rather far over for the consoles, though I'm a bit vertically-challenged anyway! :) Plus the horn is closer to the floor, affecting the sound IMO.
It's a challenge for me to not let the top surface become a storage space for records and accessories, making it less likely I'll play records on it!
Bob

Bob, I must say I found a different sound pattern given by the Edison Console. My William and Mary at sitting level for the ears sends the tone of the music fuller than if your sitting in front of the Chippendale, it tends to not have the same quality unless your standing up to listen. In a large area perhaps the sound is better on the upright. I use my Chippendale while walking in my moms rather large basement. In that setting hearing from a distance most of the time the sound is great from the Chippendale. For listening as most owners would have at the time, sitting around the living room I stick by my console to provide a better overall effect. It might be the BC 34 has a much smaller horn than the 250 Lab machines, that would greatly reduce the quality of sound and perhaps negate the advantages the console might otherwise have. There may as well be some effect of the shape of Edison horns in this as well. They tend to be flattened to the bottom an and upward thrust to the top portions which I suspect is why the best sound goes over you head if sitting in front of a large Edison upright.

Larry

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

This is the lowboy that I would really love to own. It came up for sale a while back, but it was very far from Illinois so I didn't even bid on it. Sonora cabinets are really outstanding. Your Louis XV is really beautiful as well.
Sonora Chippendale 2.jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I live in Southern Illinois and you do not see anything remotely like that around here. That is where living in larger more prosperous areas yields better finds. It is a beauty for sure.

Larry