Sonora Louis XV and other under appreciated machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
emerson
Victor III

Re: Sonora Louis XV and other under appreciated machines

Post by emerson »

Without a doubt, a beautiful piece to have in the collection and happy that you got it before it was turned into a wine rack. I have been looking for an Emerson Louis XV and no luck as of yet-----most of the time "wanted" machines that I have found have been in fair shape----the Sonora is in BEAUTIFUL as found condition. Congrats.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

A nice Sonora! I think the ornate 1920s consoles display well and this one is a lovely machine.

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

At 53" tall this Sonora may be a little to tall to be considered a console. It has the wood tone arm and a huge 4 spring gold plated motor. Its a little dusty I just drug it out of storage. To your point of consoles being looked down upon is the Victrola 330 which is absolutely beautifully designed graceful cabinet.
Attachments
IMG_6210.JPG
IMG_6210.JPG (88.97 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6209.JPG (106.53 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
IMG_6211.JPG
IMG_6211.JPG (83.74 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

tictalk wrote:At 53" tall this Sonora may be a little to tall to be considered a console. It has the wood tone arm and a huge 4 spring gold plated motor. Its a little dusty I just drug it out of storage. To your point of consoles being looked down upon is the Victrola 330 which is absolutely beautifully designed graceful cabinet.
That is an amazing machine. Thanks for sharing.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Django wrote:
tictalk wrote:At 53" tall this Sonora may be a little to tall to be considered a console. It has the wood tone arm and a huge 4 spring gold plated motor. Its a little dusty I just drug it out of storage. To your point of consoles being looked down upon is the Victrola 330 which is absolutely beautifully designed graceful cabinet.
That is an amazing machine. Thanks for sharing.
I agree, amazing.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

one interesting fact about Sonora is that in 1919, Sonora bought the furniture company that had been making mostly record and cylinder cabinets, The Herzog Furniture Co., which is the same company that made the first Amberola 1A cabinets for Edison.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's an earlier thread on these Sonora consoles:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ary#p33972

Beautiful Louis XV! :)

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

phonogfp wrote:Here's an earlier thread on these Sonora consoles:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ary#p33972

Beautiful Louis XV! :)

George P.
Do you still have the William and Mary and is the Elite in the basement? That walnut is really special.

Walnut is becoming a popular stringed instrument tonewood these days. Having a horn made of a nice resonant wood should add a nice quality to the tone.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Django wrote:
Do you still have the William and Mary and is the Elite in the basement? That walnut is really special.

Walnut is becoming a popular stringed instrument tonewood these days. Having a horn made of a nice resonant wood should add a nice quality to the tone.
Yes, the William & Mary is still here (I'm not moving it!), and the Elite is indeed in the basement! :lol:

George P.

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

Sonora's close relationship with Herzog cabinet company is no doubt a factor in the striking presence of their upright and console units. The bombe cabinet models (and many of these consoles that forum members are discussing with great frequency) give these Sonora's major presence in any home or collection. The quality of the veneers and the more robust scaling of the hardware (including wooden tonearms) adds to the effect--IMHO puts them up there aesthetically with Victor's counterparts.