So I found a Victor III the other day.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

So I found a Victor III the other day.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Okay Forum the other day I was out record hunting and came upon a big old Vic III. I'd never seen one before but this one was a beaut.

The seller, whose common sense I suspect to be deteriorating with his antiques, had cabbaged a big pressed-tin peacock or client Columbia horn on there, garishly painted red, blue, and green, but the elbow was original. The reproducer was rebuilt, but he clearly used the original diaphragm. I cranked it up and pulled on the tab brake and it started off OH so smooth...but, since Seller is not providing spare needles, the "New Okey Dokey Polka" sounded less than. (Seriously, could there have been a better demo record? Please? Instead of this crime?)

Oak finish--nice. Looked original. The ID tag was gnarly and required restoration and frankly, I don't trust the rebuild on the soundbox. That horn will have to GO--it's not even restorable, rust holes and all.

So what should I offer him? He's got it at $1100 or $1200 "ALL ORIGINAL" but I still think it's too much for an old windup record player restored haphazardly by a guy that charges $699 for a mahogany VV-X.

Ideas?

Hailey
Victor III

Re: So I found a Victor III the other day.

Post by Hailey »

$600

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Good call. That's a ton of money for my budget but that's a ton of phonograph too. Still have to go find a true horn.

If I do it, I ought to just put a repro oak horn on there, just to amend for that painted tin abortion that is sitting on it right now.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The reproducer was rebuilt, but he clearly used the original diaphragm
there's nothing wrong with using an original diaphragm provided that it's condition is ok, without significant edgewear, or cracks or delamination.

otherwise, minus the horn, I think similar machines (like a complete but hornless III in decent, mostly unrestored condition) have sold here for closer to a thousand, at least 800 or so. I think 600 would be really cheap. really though, none of these estimates really mean anything made in the dark, without a photo or two.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I agree. 800-900$ would be a good price for a Vic III in good original condition without horn. $600 would be ok for a Vic II.

Andreas