A Haunting Photo

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

A Haunting Photo

Post by phonogfp »

I thought I'd pass along an image my wife found online today. All I know is that it was taken in New York City, and the shop sold highly seasonal merchandise: bicycles, motorcycles, and Victor Talking Machines. But who was Miss Sigel, and how did she meet her end? (Click on the image twice to enlarge.)

George P.
NYCphonos.JPG

melvind
Victor IV

Re: A Haunting Photo

Post by melvind »

Well, I have no idea who she is but I certainly hope she wasn't run over by a Victor Talking Machine delivery truck!

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

phonogfp wrote:I thought I'd pass along an image my wife found online today. All I know is that it was taken in New York City, and the shop sold highly seasonal merchandise: bicycles, motorcycles, and Victor Talking Machines. But who was Miss Sigel, and how did she meet her end? (Click on the image twice to enlarge.)

George P.
NYCphonos.JPG
Maybe it was at the Chinese Restaurant?????? I didn't know if you you saw that on the second floor. :lol:
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Thanks TinfoilPhono for looking up the story so I didn't have to! Could have done without all the author's social commentary, as I intended on quickly scrolling through for the facts. Never really solved, guy seemingly got away with it. If only Chief Inspector Barnaby was around, amazing what that chap finds out in less than an hour.

Hiding the body in a trunk is at least better than getting rid of the body via the Chinese restaurant...

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks, Rene, for solving the "mystery." I thought of Googling Elsie Sigel, but I haven't been comfortable sitting in front of the computer since surgery 4 days ago.

Like JWB88, I could have done without the sketchy modern "journalism," but it's certainly an interesting, albeit tragic story. I was familiar with Elsie's grandfather (General Sigel), but never heard of poor Elsie.

Now who has a Victor (machine or record sleeve) marked by the Tiger Cycle Works Company? I wonder if it was Chinese-owned? Being in Chinatown, and judging by the name, I'd think there's a good chance.

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Some things never change. People are still fascinated by the murder of a beautiful young woman, and immigrants are racially profiled and persicuted. Still sad too. Interesting story.
Last edited by Django on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

The body wasn't found in the modern-day location of New York's Chinatown, but on 8th Avenue around 48th St. Perhaps it was a Chinese enclave back in 1909.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Fascinating story... things haven't changed much since then except Elsie would now have met her murderer on the internet, not in a Victor shop...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Having nothing better to do on a cold wet morning I did a little research on line.

The Tiger Cycle Works Co was located at 782 8th Avenue NYC, and a fire station now occupies the site.
A small classified advertisement in Popular Mechanics magazine for November 1910 states that the company had 40 secondhand motorcycles for sale.
Attachments
782.jpg
782.jpg (132.74 KiB) Viewed 1776 times