Victor Credenza Induction Motor Coil Rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EarlH
Victor III

Re: Victor Credenza Induction Motor Coil Rebuild

Post by EarlH »

On the later motors, they put a capacitor in the circuit. Doesn't that help the motor run a little better as well? I know this RE-75 I am working on has one in it, but other than that, the motor looks identical to the induction motors I've seen in all the earlier machines.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

EarlH wrote:On the later motors, they put a capacitor in the circuit. Doesn't that help the motor run a little better as well? I know this RE-75 I am working on has one in it, but other than that, the motor looks identical to the induction motors I've seen in all the earlier machines.
I'm not an "electrical guy" but I'm assuming that the capacitor may reduce/filter the AC hum that these motors can produce.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

JerryVan wrote:
EarlH wrote:On the later motors, they put a capacitor in the circuit. Doesn't that help the motor run a little better as well? I know this RE-75 I am working on has one in it, but other than that, the motor looks identical to the induction motors I've seen in all the earlier machines.
I'm not an "electrical guy" but I'm assuming that the capacitor may reduce/filter the AC hum that these motors can produce.
Later motors are usually a split-phase motor (usually permanent split capacitor) and the capacitor is needed to generate starting torque.

Later they went to shaded-pole motors for most inexpensive players and changers, and these have no capacitor at all.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Basically, if it runs ok without heating up
excessively and smoking, leave it alone and use it.

If it heats up, smokes, and then self-destructs
in a glorious plume of the magic smoke, then
rewind it.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

Chappy
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Thanks everyone. Although smell may not be an indicator of things gone bad, insulation on wires and the wrap around the coils was turning to dust. Part of doing this myself is the desire to meet the challenge, but part is to put together brand new wiring to ensure a long life for this motor and the credenza. I am looking at using enamel coated magnetic wire on the coils and I am sure this will be a challenge.

The Service Bulletin shown above--any idea where one can get a copy of that--even a reprint? I bought a series of service bulletin books on Victor (5 bound volumes) and so I will need to take another look through those, but I did not see this one. I really had hoped to find one.

I am taking this slow and plan to build a test box to mount the motor on and to test out each attempt at winding. If it does not work--start from scratch. I had the entire motor apart on the weekend, cleaned and lubricated it so there is no more rubbing to squeaking. The other wiring has been redone and I am glad I did that because one touch on any of the wires and they fell apart. There were areas where they already had crumbled before being touched and there was bare wire against wood areas of the credenza. In the end, I do not want to worry about leaving it for 2 minutes on concern it will go on fire.

Chappy
Victor Jr

Post by Chappy »

This is the label on my motor.
Attachments
Induction Motor Label.pdf
(121.72 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Chappy
Victor Jr

Post by Chappy »

Wes K wrote:
JerryVan wrote:
Later motors are usually a split-phase motor (usually permanent split capacitor) and the capacitor is needed to generate starting torque.

Later they went to shaded-pole motors for most inexpensive players and changers, and these have no capacitor at all.
Very interesting stuff everyone. I am not an electrical guy either--basically, my knowledge of electrical prior to this was the on switch. However, I have rewired the machine up to the coils with the direction of my electrician on what wire to use, etc. I am fascinated now. I have bought books on electric induction motors and coils and this could be a long term project for me. No rush for sure. I will keep you posted on how things go. How would one measure the diameter of the wire? That has been mentioned. I just went based on the Ohms of resistance I measured in the coils and used a table of wire gauges. The 9 ohms previously mentioned was very close to the wire I have. I am planning on trying 20 gauge wire that is enamel coated to start. It is my understanding that I will not need the brown colored silk wrapping that is currently on the coil because that was the insulation of this coil. We shall see. If there is a poof and plume of magic smoke then I will just go back to the drawing board and start again. I am a detail guy so the reverse engineering quick way is not really my thing--I am trying to dig into the physics of the process and learn the process of actually calculating the needed winds, etc., with the math (the only thing I have less experience with than mechanical stuff is math so now may be a good time to learn--and it helps me to force my son to study math by answering the "what the heck with I ever use that equation for" question.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

How to measure wire diameter; go to Amazon or eBay, search for "digital caliper" and then hit "Purchase".
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (11.06 KiB) Viewed 941 times

Chappy
Victor Jr

Post by Chappy »

JerryVan wrote:How to measure wire diameter; go to Amazon or eBay, search for "digital caliper" and then hit "Purchase".
Fabulous. Thanks. I had visions of myself with a really tiny ruler. :)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Here is how you equate the actual diameter of the wire with what gauge it is;
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (41.5 KiB) Viewed 939 times