Victor Credenza Induction Motor Coil Rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Chappy
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Chappy

Re: Victor Credenza Induction Motor Coil Rebuild

Post by Chappy »

JerryVan wrote:Here is how you equate the actual diameter of the wire with what gauge it is;
Thanks. That was my next question once I looked at the calipers.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Chappy wrote:
JerryVan wrote:Here is how you equate the actual diameter of the wire with what gauge it is;
Thanks. That was my next question once I looked at the calipers.

:)

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

JerryVan wrote:How to measure wire diameter; go to Amazon or eBay, search for "digital caliper" and then hit "Purchase".
FYI, Harbor Freight also sells digital calipers with selectable metric or English scales. I have one and it's very well-made and accurate. Look for the 20%-off coupon in your local advertising flyer/newspaper coupon book, etc. (Disclaimer: I have no connection with HF.)

Chappy
Victor Jr

Post by Chappy »

Henry wrote:
JerryVan wrote:How to measure wire diameter; go to Amazon or eBay, search for "digital caliper" and then hit "Purchase".
FYI, Harbor Freight also sells digital calipers with selectable metric or English scales. I have one and it's very well-made and accurate. Look for the 20%-off coupon in your local advertising flyer/newspaper coupon book, etc. (Disclaimer: I have no connection with HF.)
Thanks. I have some Harbor Freight tools, blast cabinet and compressor--I like their stuff. I was also looking at Granger as they seem to have them as well. So I have some local sources. Thanks.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

If you can,look up Tom Newcity on the Antique Fan Collectors Forums. Tom rewinds the speed chokes on old fans, and these chokes are made like the coils of the induction disc motors. He might be able to help you out getting started.

Chappy
Victor Jr

Post by Chappy »

Wes K wrote:If you can,look up Tom Newcity on the Antique Fan Collectors Forums. Tom rewinds the speed chokes on old fans, and these chokes are made like the coils of the induction disc motors. He might be able to help you out getting started.
Great. Thanks.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Choppy, I am impressed that you are still digging into this project. The smart money would be in locating a pair of replacement coils, they are pretty available and cheap, but I see that your desire is to delve into the inner workings and to get a cheap education. Good for you!

A proper wire gauge looks like this although you can get close enough with the recommended caliper.

Be careful when using your existing coils for resistance measurements, it is likely that this has changed due to shorting of the windings if ithe motor overheated as you indicated. You are better off counting the turns as you unwind them and checking the wire gauges.

I can send you the other pages of that Service bulletin if you send me your address although it will be of little help in your rewinding efforts.

The first chapter of the John Rider manual “Automatic Record Changers and Recorders” published in 1941 has a good practical description of electric motor theory. The book shouldn’t be too hard to locate.

Mark
Attachments
B9B6130A-DF7D-41A1-840C-D50C100801D1.jpeg

Chappy
Victor Jr

Post by Chappy »

MarkELynch wrote:Choppy, I am impressed that you are still digging into this project. The smart money would be in locating a pair of replacement coils, they are pretty available and cheap, but I see that your desire is to delve into the inner workings and to get a cheap education. Good for you!

A proper wire gauge looks like this although you can get close enough with the recommended caliper.

Be careful when using your existing coils for resistance measurements, it is likely that this has changed due to shorting of the windings if ithe motor overheated as you indicated. You are better off counting the turns as you unwind them and checking the wire gauges.

I can send you the other pages of that Service bulletin if you send me your address although it will be of little help in your rewinding efforts.

The first chapter of the John Rider manual “Automatic Record Changers and Recorders” published in 1941 has a good practical description of electric motor theory. The book shouldn’t be too hard to locate.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I will grab the book. The address where mail does not seem to get lost is my office: DJ Chapman Law, 1121 Westrac Drive, Suite 206, Fargo, ND 58103. If photo and text works or photo and email, text is (701) 799-3827 and email is dchapman@sjchapmanlaw.com. The manual may prove enlightening for other service on the motor--maybe not. I have thousands of pages of manuals and not this one (of course).

I have also been reading some old books on induction motors because you are correct--for me it is now fascination with how it works. Thanks again.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Can you send your email again, my message bounced saying that the domain couldn’t not be found.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Reading this with a lot of interest. By the way you can find that manual on line-just keep looking for it . I found it and down loaded it. It is on my desktop. If you cannot locate it PM me and I will send you the file. There is a ton of information on all kinds of units.
Abe