Happy 171st Birthday Thomas Alva Edison

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Happy 171st Birthday Thomas Alva Edison

Post by fran604g »

Arguably the reason we're all still "talking" about this greatest of inventors.

Cheers Al!

Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Happy 171st Birthday Thomas Alva Edison

Post by alang »

Happy Birthday Tom!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

There has been a lot of discussion through the years regarding the man that Thomas Edison was. The same is true for Charles Lindbergh and many others. Nearly every hero from my childhood becomes a bit tarnished when viewed under a microscope, (or in some cases looked at past the great accomplishment that made them famous). None of us are perfect, but some go on to do great things despite some less desirable attributes. I did not know the man and I will not judge him by things taken out of context. So Happy Birthday and Thanks to a great innovator and visionary that made our lives more interesting.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well put, Django. Neither deification nor damnation serves most human beings well. Edison was a flawed person who accomplished much despite those flaws (or perhaps even because of them!). I gladly toast his birthday every year! :)

George P.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Yes DJango. When I was a child, as many on here, We were taught about great people in history and their accomplishments, and we looked up to them, we knew they were human,however looked at what they accomplished . Today, however, much of what is discussed in school is their flaws and how different their politics, were. For instance every time these days in the general public posting you mention Edison the Edison Tesla thing is brought up every time. You tell the millennial generation about entrepreneurship and working to the top, and when people tell you it can't be done, then try harder to prove them wrong, they look at you like you have 14 eyes and 7 heads. I posted a nice photo montage of Edison on Facebook and a birthday message about Edison(And reminded his great Grandson as well). It is also my Aunt Mary Ellen and Grandfather Les Stuart's Birthday as well. My Grandfather loved to tinker with watches and make things, mostly guns and knives, he worked at Westclox machined small parts for clocks and watches.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Recently, I saw a <rather large> woman wearing a T-shirt that said, "I CAN. I WILL. END OF STORY."

But if that's the end of the story, what does it matter? Having potential and using that potential are two completely different things.

There's a lot of unproductive mental gymnastics today about who REALLY invented X and people have fun with unknowable speculation and conspiracy theories. I find it usually has the underlying purpose of making average/below average people feel better about themselves.

If Thomas Edison ever wore a stupid T-shirt, it would say,
"I DID."

Happy Birthday, Mr. Edison.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

We chose to play a religious record on each of the three Edison phonographs in our collection as our way of remembering Thomas Edison.