The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Riverside, California
I'd actually like a new custom model, something along the lines of this EMG, only with a bigger horn :D


Attachments:
emg.jpg
emg.jpg [ 138.94 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]
"There are two kinds of people in this world: people who eat grapes in the grocery store and good people."
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:23 am
Posts: 820
Location: North Oregon Coast
Hailey wrote:
I am one of the minority that is concerned about a return on my dollar once the day comes that I disperse MY collection. Of course we all like to find that diamond in the rough, yet when I do acquire and pay up for something nowadays, I do so with keeping in mind the concept of investment.


I don't see how you can think of phonographs as investments. The prices have fluctuated several times while I have been collecting for the last 22 years. And, after the last big drop a few years ago things have never come back and it is unlikely they will. The good and rare stuff keeps its value. The everyday and common stuff does not. I have some of both, but I certainly and not going to get all crazy if I can't get what I paid for them. Someone else will be doing that for most of them after I'm gone anyway.

Rather than what I wish I could have, I will add a list of 3 machines I sold in the past that I wish I still had and will likely not be able to replace now that I am retired. Now to be fair, I got better "stuff" for the money those machines brought me and I don't really have room for them now. So no real loss. But, nothing else I have ever sold means to me what these did.

Edison Amberola III
Edison B-375 Diamond Disc
Vic VI
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 1917
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
melvind wrote:
Hailey wrote:
I am one of the minority that is concerned about a return on my dollar once the day comes that I disperse MY collection. Of course we all like to find that diamond in the rough, yet when I do acquire and pay up for something nowadays, I do so with keeping in mind the concept of investment.


I don't see how you can think of phonographs as investments. The prices have fluctuated several times while I have been collecting for the last 22 years. And, after the last big drop a few years ago things have never come back and it is unlikely they will. The good and rare stuff keeps its value. The everyday and common stuff does not. I have some of both, but I certainly and not going to get all crazy if I can't get what I paid for them. Someone else will be doing that for most of them after I'm gone anyway.

Rather than what I wish I could have, I will add a list of 3 machines I sold in the past that I wish I still had and will likely not be able to replace now that I am retired. Now to be fair, I got better "stuff" for the money those machines brought me and I don't really have room for them now. So no real loss. But, nothing else I have ever sold means to me what these did.

Edison Amberola III
Edison B-375 Diamond Disc
Vic VI


I have two regrets that I sold:

Victor E rear mount

An all steel Columbia Europa outside horn machine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:44 pm
Posts: 480
Location: Missouri
melvind wrote:
Hailey wrote:
I am one of the minority that is concerned about a return on my dollar once the day comes that I disperse MY collection. Of course we all like to find that diamond in the rough, yet when I do acquire and pay up for something nowadays, I do so with keeping in mind the concept of investment.


I don't see how you can think of phonographs as investments. The prices have fluctuated several times while I have been collecting for the last 22 years. And, after the last big drop a few years ago things have never come back and it is unlikely they will. The good and rare stuff keeps its value. The everyday and common stuff does not. I have some of both, but I certainly and not going to get all crazy if I can't get what I paid for them. Someone else will be doing that for most of them after I'm gone anyway.

Rather than what I wish I could have, I will add a list of 3 machines I sold in the past that I wish I still had and will likely not be able to replace now that I am retired. Now to be fair, I got better "stuff" for the money those machines brought me and I don't really have room for them now. So no real loss. But, nothing else I have ever sold means to me what these did.

Edison Amberola III


Edison B-375 Diamond Disc
Vic VI


You answered your own inquiry. “The good and rare stuff keeps it’s value. The everyday and common stuff does not”.
That is my entire point. Years ago, as I came to a crucial point in my collecting, I looked around me and made a decision. I sold everything in the collection that I was confident that within a weeks time that I could go out and replace. The money was then used to finance the stuff that was, and still is, considered rare. I never was one to concern myself with keeping up with the next collector or with how many of something that I had. So, my volume went way down, while my value went way up. And, to this day, I enjoy my collection more than I ever did, and I can assure you that it has been, and still is, an investment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:06 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm
Posts: 600
Location: Claremont, NH
I never thought of this as an investment. I love the machines and being able to hear music and sounds from a century or so ago on machines that are more than a century old. I love having all those interesting and useful machines around me. They please multiple senses. My collection has a few semi-rare machines, but mostly more common, but desirable examples. If there value went to zero and no one else had any interest in them it wouldn’t change how I value them. I can see my common Humpback Victor with it’s Nickel Hawthorne and Sheble horn from my seat and it brings me joy. That is what matters to me. An M Class Edison is cool, but the little Humpback strikes a chord with me that M Class does not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline
Victor O
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:26 pm
Posts: 61
Location: North central Oklahoma
If I or someone down the line from me gets a good return on this this stuff, that is just an added side bonus, but not the main reason why I have anything collectible. What matters is that interests me, and the pleasure from finding, fixing, operating and showing/demonstrating the machines to others. At no time have I ever considered the financial aspect of any of this, beyond can I afford it. Some people spend their money on beer and cable TV for entertainment, I spend mine on antiques, and after the weekend is over, I still have something to show for my money! Just my 2 cents!


Anyway, an Opera or an Amberola 1A. Honestly, I would much rather have the 1A mechanism in the Opera cabinet, that would be the best of both worlds, even if it is a mutt!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 pm 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:44 pm
Posts: 480
Location: Missouri
It seems as though others are a bit disturbed by my admission of investment as one of the aspects which I take into consideration as I build my collection. At every turn, I have also highlighted the significance of continuing enjoyment of collecting and following the hobby. Interesting...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:47 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm
Posts: 600
Location: Claremont, NH
Hailey wrote:
It seems as though others are a bit disturbed by my admission of investment as one of the aspects which I take into consideration as I build my collection. At every turn, I have also highlighted the significance of continuing enjoyment of collecting and following the hobby. Interesting...


It is not a judgement. Investment probably should be considered when spending and collecting. From my perspective, it is about whether or not it has that value to me. I buy what I like or what interests me, if I can afford it. I am conscious of the return on my investment, but that doesn’t drive my decisions. That said, I don’t like to pay top dollar or overpay either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:37 pm
Posts: 869
Location: Frederick Maryland
Obviously eBay is NOT the best place to buy phonographs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm
Posts: 600
Location: Claremont, NH
Edisonfan wrote:
Obviously eBay is NOT the best place to buy phonographs.


It can be good. Sometimes you hit it right.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fonotone, Google [Bot], Marty Bufalini and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.