Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford

Post by fran604g »

gramophone-georg wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Impressive. Hilariously impressive!

But what happens for the Muggle who puts the needle on the WRONG SIDE of the record? :x :lol:

We exile him to the antique radio forums.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Well, I rather like electric motor machines. I am nearly finished with the restoration of my Alva (A project which sat on the back burner for twenty-five years!) So I want more. I would hope to find a nice Electrola XVIII, it would look well in the parlor (though a Vernis Martin example would be better still).

I have a Columbia BC with the electric motor which wants renovation. Other than those, a nice ENG or Expert open horn machine would.pretty well be all I would ever.want to add to my talking machine collection.

On second thought, were unlimited funds available I would dearly love to have an appropriate amplifier and speaker for my Western Electric 203A reproduced. The 41A-42A-43A setup that I had before the fire would be just fine, though I'd probably prefer the 12A-13A horn pair to the more common 16B that I once had.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

gramophone-georg wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Impressive. Hilariously impressive!

But what happens for the Muggle who puts the needle on the WRONG SIDE of the record? :x :lol:

We exile him to the antique radio forums.
That is a horrid fate... :lol:

:)
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Phonographs I would love to own, but can't afford

Post by PeterF »

I'm actually pretty happy with what I've managed to accumulate, but if either became available at an attainable price, I'd jump all over:

- an Ideal/Idealia/Idelia (because I'm an oxidized bronze fetishist)

- a Kurtzmann - the ones with glass motorboards and platters (because I like weird stuff like that)

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

I did not realize how quickly this topic would explode like wild fire on here?

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I am working on one of my last projects. It a RCA special. I have finally found a crystal cartridge for it Next I will have to fix the amp. I am trying to clean up stuff that has been sitting around for a couple of ears. Tom

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

tomb wrote:I am working on one of my last projects. It a RCA special. I have finally found a crystal cartridge for it Next I will have to fix the amp. I am trying to clean up stuff that has been sitting around for a couple of ears. Tom
Hopefully the crystal cartridge works, a lot of them no longer work since the crystal salt goes bad in them.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

I have had 3 working Crystal carts in 20 years. I have always rebuilt or replaced with a newer 3v crystal cart.
If you do deicide to try and rebuild I can help you. I am not one for adding a pre-amp ( not talented enough)
IT is tedious but it can be fun to rebuild one. Cot is about $35.00 in parts.

It's not what you say... It's what you do...

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

OldRestorer wrote:I have had 3 working Crystal carts in 20 years. I have always rebuilt or replaced with a newer 3v crystal cart.
If you do deicide to try and rebuild I can help you. I am not one for adding a pre-amp ( not talented enough)
IT is tedious but it can be fun to rebuild one. Cot is about $35.00 in parts.

Thanks.... I found a local person to repair the amp I shorted out when I was checking the voltage. I found a replacement crystal cartridge in a tone arm for sell. It also has the cables and wires which I need. My tone arm has a bad connection. If it does no work I will gladly seek your assistance for the cartridge rebuild. Tom

oltractor
Victor I

Post by oltractor »

My list would have a Victrola XX, XXV, Vernis Martin edition, a Berliner, and an Edison Concert