Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford

Post by tomb »

There are many places to get phonographs depending on how much time you want to put into the hunt. E bay and Craig's list are the easiest with E bay offering money back if not received. There are big swap meets put on by the big phonograph societies annually that have good buys with a very large selection. You can bid on some of the large auctions like Donnelly and others. A very good way is to join a local phonograph club for support and swaps or procuring machines. You can cruse the local garage sales and estate sales. There are estate auction also. I have gotten a couple from the antique shops. There are several more which have not come to my mind yet as it is early in the morning. Tom

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank You Tom!

Maryland does not have a Phonograph Society. At least non that I am aware of.

Ebay is good, but the shipping costs sometime don't justify buying too often. Also, machines can be much higher in price. Plus, there other people vie'ing for the same machines. I see lots of great machines with high prices, but not bids. The only ones, that get the most attention. Are oddball ones. Like the Coin operated machines, or rarities. Like Berliner.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Edisonfan wrote:Thank You Tom!

Ebay is good, but the shipping costs sometime don't justify buying too often. Also, machines can be much higher in price. Plus, there other people vie'ing for the same machines. I see lots of great machines with high prices, but not bids. The only ones, that get the most attention. Are oddball ones. Like the Coin operated machines, or rarities. Like Berliner.
Your best bet would probably be events like the upcoming show in Wayne, NJ, or similar shows in Carolina. I know, either are 3-4 hours drive from you, but that's still manageable I think. And of course there is this forum with may great offers in every price range and from people you can trust to know what they're doing. While I learned a lot from fixing them, I now regret some eBay and Craigslist purchases, because they take up space that could have been used for some of the great machines offered here in the last year.

Andreas

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Edisonfan wrote:Thank You Tom!

That's a shame, that'd be really nice if MD had a society. Especially if it were near Fredrick / Rockville. I've gotten some nice buys on Facebook and Craigslist near us. They seem to all be on the eastern shore. Worth the drive though! My favorites are my VE 7-25 and L-door XVI. Both were under $200. They needed (and need) some work and love but in the end it's more rewarding (for me anyway) to have brought a machine back to its former self. I guess you're my competition then :lol:. You're probably more fully funded than a high school student though :lol:.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

It would be nice Greg.

I will admit, I do have six very nice machines. Two disc machines, and four cylinder machines. I would love too find something unique, that I could share on my YouTube Channel. Plus I still, have an empty space left in my condo. Although, what I really need? is nice storage cabinet for four boxes of cylinder records. Of course, I need too go through them and pair them down, so I don't get overwhelmed.

Also, I don't spend a lot of time on here, like I did in the past before the rise of Facebook and YouTube.

I know maybe a handful of people, on here and some who ave long since left.

Paul