Messin' Around in the Lab

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
donniej
Victor III

Messin' Around in the Lab

Post by donniej »

Testing the frequency responses of a cutting head and a reproducer. I don't get to post much in the machines section, so this seemed like a fun opportunity 8-)

https://youtu.be/8LvpemPxels

startgroove
Victor III

Re: Messin' Around in the Lab

Post by startgroove »

Greetings! I find this interesting since I have been doing experiments in testing frequencies and resonance of horns recently. The You Tube video shows a setup which is not as direct as I am using, but still has possibilities as a test jig (I am driving a small speaker into various horns. That speaker is powered by an amplifier and 10 band equalizer). The set-up shown in the video appears to show a direct connection between the cutting head and reproducer, without a means of pivoting. I wonder if that would suppress some ranges of sound, or am I missing something? Anyway, are you using some equipment to read volume, or frequency, or other parameters? If so, what are they. Thank you for posting this interesting topic. Russie

donniej
Victor III

Re: Messin' Around in the Lab

Post by donniej »

The cutting head is attached to the reproducer by what is essentially a long needle. I machined a teflon ring to attach the reproducer to the horn (I just happen to have a lot of PTFE). The goal was to test what EQ "curve" (if that's the correct term) to use when cutting a 78 for acoustic playback with the best possible sound quality.

Out research probably has a bit of overlap and I'd be happy to share details with you. I'll send you a PM...