Ash Wednesday victrola commercial

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Ash Wednesday victrola commercial

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I love late 1920s jazz but detest vocal refrains unless it's particularly well done in a blues song.

The Victor record of "Hallelujah!" from 1927 is nearly ruined. Franklyn Baur tries. Still sounds like a stressed-out castrato who needs to use the restroom.

The Edison recording has very old-fashioned instrumentation. A great record but unless I dig it out on Edisonia replica cylinder there's no hope of hearing or affording it.

I have a 1927 Lincoln record of "Nesting Time" that's the cat's pyjamas except for the sappy, awful refrain. In the meantime, though I like the old jazz sound, I'll stick to ragtime & Joseph C Smith.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I love late 1920s jazz but detest vocal refrains unless it's particularly well done in a blues song.

The Victor record of "Hallelujah!" from 1927 is nearly ruined. Franklyn Baur tries. Still sounds like a stressed-out castrato who needs to use the restroom.

The Edison recording has very old-fashioned instrumentation. A great record but unless I dig it out on Edisonia replica cylinder there's no hope of hearing or affording it.

I have a 1927 Lincoln record of "Nesting Time" that's the cat's pyjamas except for the sappy, awful refrain. In the meantime, though I like the old jazz sound, I'll stick to ragtime & Joseph C Smith.
Aw, leave Frank alone. Check him out on the Harry Reser's Syncopators disc of "Shakin' The Blues Away". Watch out for the politically incorrect lyrics.

I've even gotten to where I can (barely) tolerate Crappy Lambert, but I draw the line at Dick Robertson attempting to be cute.

Sorry about the typo. :lol:

Next time you go to confession maybe they'll give you so many Wes Vaughns and Franklyn Baurs for penance. Then you'll KNOW you'd better shape the hell up!
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:For maximum penance play something with Ireland, Heaven, or Mother in the title. Ugh.
LMAO. Spot on, yet I sort of love those, awful as they are. I like the Edwardian era and all those sappy songs about babies praying and parents in Heaven...some are so bad they're great fun.

"Don't go in the lion's cage tonight, mother..."

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jwb88 wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:For maximum penance play something with Ireland, Heaven, or Mother in the title. Ugh.
LMAO. Spot on, yet I sort of love those, awful as they are. I like the Edwardian era and all those sappy songs about babies praying and parents in Heaven...some are so bad they're great fun.

"Don't go in the lion's cage tonight, mother..."
I'm thinking that Eppy should try out "Baby Your Mother" by Don Bestor's Orch. with a refrain by... wait for it... Franklyn Baur. It's actually a hot record and yes, Franklyn's vocal is complete buzzkill. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

coyote wrote:How about repeated playings of a "laughing record" for penance? Once may be amusing, but more than that..."
Your wish is my command...

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BavE2cFUT54[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/BavE2cFUT54

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

No, seriously, this is not OKeh!

Oh, wait, it is.

We're Doomed!

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:"Did you ever stop to think that penance is a duty?"

Somehow I don't think that would have sold too many Victrolas... ;)

Happy Ash Wednesday!
I don't know... (read Saki's classic, "Filboid Studge"). :lol:

Bill