The Kurtzmann Electric Phonograph with the Glass Top

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: The Kurtzmann Electric Phonograph with the Glass Top

Post by De Soto Frank »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Consider one day? I've been considering one of those flimsy little jokers since I was six or eight. That day's coming. I don't have a car yet but when the "young-white-man-overpriced-insurance" stage of life is over I'm going for either a Ford Model T or a Model A.
T's are a lot of fun, and one is on my bucket-list too, but suggest you start with an A for a driver. They are more practical in today's traffic.

I have a '28 Ford Special Coupe.

:coffee:
De Soto Frank

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Herman wrote:Just found this link to YouTube of one in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96gqa2Ds9w

Very nice ! The tune (Button-up your Overcoat) is one of my favorites...

Would love to find a copy of that Diamond-Disc. :clover:
De Soto Frank

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

De Soto Frank wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Consider one day? I've been considering one of those flimsy little jokers since I was six or eight. That day's coming. I don't have a car yet but when the "young-white-man-overpriced-insurance" stage of life is over I'm going for either a Ford Model T or a Model A.
T's are a lot of fun, and one is on my bucket-list too, but suggest you start with an A for a driver. They are more practical in today's traffic.

I have a '28 Ford Special Coupe.

I dream of owning an A. Would have done it had I not bought the other thing on my bucket list last year. Edison Opera.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

An Edison Triumph or Opera are on my bucket list too...

I got my A "By accident" - it was in the car corral at a local AACA show, and it was too good to ignore. For the price.

Basically, it was a turn-key driver, needing TLC.

First two years I put almost 10,000 miles on it... not bad for an 80+ year-old, mechanically unrestored car... :D

The best things about the Model A, are that there were so many made (4.5 million), the survival rate is very high, they are well-built and simple, have a minimum of structural wood, and repair / reproduction parts are comparatively plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

Even 90 years after its introduction, the Model A Ford is still about the lowest-priced / best value in a [antique]car.

Kind of like a smaller Victrola, even though it was an inexpensive model, it was well-built and gave good service / value.

De Soto Frank

Ograngel
Victor Jr

Post by Ograngel »

Every year at work, we have a Recycled Material Art Challenge. Basically take as much discarded material and make something beautiful. I found an Emerson phonograph in the attic of a house I bought. The cabinet was trash, so I decided to take the gearbox, tone arm and horn to try and make my version of a Kurtzmann style phonograph. A buddy helped me with the glass but now the cabinet is needed. I open to modernistic styles to marry with the glass and metal.
Attachments
IMG_4455.JPG
IMG_4455.JPG (122.57 KiB) Viewed 719 times

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ograngel wrote:Every year at work, we have a Recycled Material Art Challenge. Basically take as much discarded material and make something beautiful. I found an Emerson phonograph in the attic of a house I bought. The cabinet was trash, so I decided to take the gearbox, tone arm and horn to try and make my version of a Kurtzmann style phonograph. A buddy helped me with the glass but now the cabinet is needed. I open to modernistic styles to marry with the glass and metal.
Hey That’s awesome!