The Beautiful Victor B

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

The Beautiful Victor B

Post by gramophone78 »

Recently, I was able to acquire a "as found" Victor type B. A machine I have always coveted. What I didn't know was there are at least two different brake types that were used. This model appears to have the early "Berliner" style brake device. Where the later models have a bolt style brake to accommodate a 10" disc. Like most Trade Mark designed models, the little spring motor can manage to complete a 10" disc.....hard to believe..I know.
An interesting discovery with this machine was buying it under the guise the little ball was missing on the brake lever. When I placed the crank onto the winding shaft, it would sit far too high. After inspecting the inside of the crank, to my amazement....the little lever ball was stuck inside.. :shock:.
I was able to rotate it until the drilled hole appeared and using a thin wood screw to bite into it....pulled it out like a bad tooth... :lol:. It was tightly wedged in there.
Once I tapped the ball back onto the brake lever, I realized the nickel was nice a shiny like a repro part. compared to the rest of the brake. So, I guess it had been stuck in there for many years.

Still need to give the little guy a good cleaning...just haven't had the time.

Anyway, just what I needed.....another machine.. ;).
Victor B (2).JPG

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: The Beautiful Victor B

Post by Phono-Phan »

Very Nice! :D What kind of reproducer does it have?

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Very nice find, Wayne! And in the condition most of us would like to find one. :)
Phono-Phan wrote:What kind of reproducer does it have?
Looks like an Eldridge R. Johnson Concert reproducer on it. Always nice to find one of those. And that looks like it's in nice condition as well. The few E.R. Johnson Concert reproducers I've seen over the years that were completely original (including my own) had either the diaphragm messed up or the diaphragm wire link broken or the needle bar bent. Undoubtedly they were dropped and hit the "business side" side first or someone (maybe a curious kid!) fiddled around with them. Anyway, yours looks nice! And what an interesting story on the ball wedged inside the crank. :shock:

Doug

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

What a beautiful machine! Congratulations! I love the fleur de lis decoration.

Since two things were mentioned that I never heard of before I would like to ask for detailed pictures of the brake with the little ball, because I can’t visualize what you were describing. I would also like to see pictures of the reproducer with the diaphragm wire link, because I have never seen or heard about that either. I would really appreciate this opportunity to learn about these rare items.

Thank you very much
Andreas

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Another great find. Looks as if 2018 is off to a great start for you!

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Nice! I really like the fleur dis lis on the side. Is that carved in the wood?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

alang wrote:What a beautiful machine! Congratulations! I love the fleur de lis decoration.

Since two things were mentioned that I never heard of before I would like to ask for detailed pictures of the brake with the little ball, because I can’t visualize what you were describing. I would also like to see pictures of the reproducer with the diaphragm wire link, because I have never seen or heard about that either. I would really appreciate this opportunity to learn about these rare items.

Thank you very much
Andreas
Thank you all for the comments. The Concert is in fact an ERJ version. The reason it looks so nice....it came in it's box. Although a great thing....it now makes it also look out of place to the other nickel parts.
Here is a close up of the little nickel plated ball on the end of the brake lever.
Again, as can be seen, it too looks out of place to the rest of the brake.
I was expecting to either leave the lever as is or have one made at some point.

If I had not been curious as to why the crank was not fully seated....it would have remained in there for many more years to come. I should mention, the crank was still far enough down to work properly with the ball inside. It just wasn't down fully as one would expect. At first, I wondered if it was a QC issue from the factory.
I now have it displayed next to the type A I found a few years ago.

Like most on here, space is becoming a major concern.... :oops:.

A question on my mind and I will put it out there to the members....the fiber gear has two teeth that are in poor condition. So, when playing, it makes a loud clicking noise. Would you replace the original fiber gear or leave as is..??. Just curious.
20180216_062215.jpg
20180216_062246.jpg
20180216_062205.jpg
Attachments
20180216_062308.jpg

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Congratulations Wayne,

These are Wonderful Iconic Victor machines.
They have the "Trademark" look, with a flair all their own.

Cheers, Bob S.
Attachments
IMG_5215.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Zwebie wrote:Congratulations Wayne,

These are Wonderful Iconic Victor machines.
They have the "Trademark" look, with a flair all their own.

Cheers, Bob S.
Thanks Bob, yours is fantastic and also appears to have an early brake. Maybe Rene can post a pic of his type B brake showing the other style..?.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Ask and ye shall receive....

These are lovely machines.
Attachments
IMG_2832.JPG