The Beautiful Victor B

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Re: The Beautiful Victor B

Post by Zwebie »

Wayne,

Does the Clark/Johnson reproducer on your Vic.A have a "C" on it?

Bob S.

(here's a pic of mine)
Attachments
IMG_5988.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Zwebie wrote:Wayne,

Does the Clark/Johnson reproducer on your Vic.A have a "C" on it?

Bob S.

(here's a pic of mine)
Yes, Bob it does. Although, I have never cleaned it....I should get on it.... :oops:.
20180216_115455.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks for more pictures of the machine. Is there a serial number behind the mica? I believe reproductions were made without serial numbers by M. Stehlik in Canada years ago. That may explain how crisp the plating is. Also, in reference to your fiber gear issue, I had a number of these gears made. Ron Sitko bought my stock of them. Here is the link to my post about this project. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... hilit=gear
I made the special copper rivets to fasten the gear on. I would be willing to do this repair work for you if you can get a gear from Ron Sitko. You would need to verify the teeth count and outside diameter of the gear for Ron.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I was mistaken. I double checked my Johnson Concerts and the serial number should be on the back of these reproducers. Here is my Victor B that I bought from the late Bob Johnson. It has a Victor Concert reproducer on it.
Attachments
DSCN0822.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Phono-Phan wrote:I was mistaken. I double checked my Johnson Concerts and the serial number should be on the back of these reproducers. Here is my Victor B that I bought from the late Bob Johnson. It has a Victor Concert reproducer on it.
Great machine Ken and an even rarer version imho. Yes, the serial number is on the back. The data plate is also ERJ. The reproducer was protected from the elements by being stored in it's case.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The Victor B's are pretty neat! Why the fleur-de-lis? It gives off a serious St. Joan of Arc vibe that is actually kind of cool.

The early reproducers look great. Has anyone ever rebuilt one to see how they perform? They look so primitive but so technological at the same time.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Mine has the later Victor ID tag. Can you post a picture of the Johnson B tag?

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

The early reproducers look great. Has anyone ever rebuilt one to see how they perform? They look so primitive but so technological at the same time.
I rebuilt this Victor Standard Speaker, (aka: Clark/Johnson), a few years back, with a French Glass diaphragm, and it played fantastic!
Loud and Clear, with no buzzing!

Bob S.
Attachments
V3.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Phono-Phan wrote:Mine has the later Victor ID tag. Can you post a picture of the Johnson B tag?
Ken, here you go. Also, the ERJ plate on my type A. Bob, I should really look at cleaning and rebuilding the CJ soundbox on my type A.
A glass diaphragm would be great. I remember having one in an Exhibition reproducer.
20180216_184249.jpg
100_3531.JPG

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Very nice!! Thanks for posting the pictures. I have a Johnson A and a Victor A. The Johnson A had a celluloid tag that was in many pieces. I had a new one made. I will try to post some pictures of both of them later. Congrats on your great machine :D