Unusual speed selector

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
chrisg
Victor III

Unusual speed selector

Post by chrisg »

I found a standard D yesterday with a seized mandrel bearing and the guy took it apart completely. Well I got the bearing out . And started puting back together and found a strange ( to my novice eye ) speed selector. Any ideas
Attachments
20180217_130005.jpg
20180217_130107.jpg
20180217_164749.jpg
20180217_164759.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Unusual speed selector

Post by Jerry B. »

I've not seen a speed selector like that. It's very interesting. Jerry B.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Sure looks like A Rube Goldberg speed selector to me. Don’t understand what they were trying to accomplish over the factory selector.

Rich Gordon

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

looks like it's out of a music box!

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

EarlH wrote:looks like it's out of a music box!
True: if it were meant for the machine, wouldn't there be a "2" and "4" engraved on the brass? And what is that tiny lug on top meant for?

Bill

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Looks like a clever home machinist decided to simplify the 2/4 minute change with a lever rather than pulling or pushing a knob. It's just a bit crude but still pretty well thought out. I like it a lot.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Maybe it kept jumping out of second gear. I had a '46 Ford that would do that....

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I like it! For sure, it's a design that Rube Goldberg would be proud of ;) but it's also a lot more convenient to shift gears with a top mounted lever over a small side mounted button. I can't figure out what purpose that little eyelet on top serves though. The brass machining looks rather crude but overall it's a keeper from my perspective presuming it functions!

Doug

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

FellowCollector wrote:I like it! For sure, it's a design that Rube Goldberg would be proud of ;) but it's also a lot more convenient to shift gears with a top mounted lever over a small side mounted button. I can't figure out what purpose that little eyelet on top serves though. The brass machining looks rather crude but overall it's a keeper from my perspective presuming it functions!

Doug
I think it may have been for a small spring to keep tension one way or the other. Just a guess.
Dave

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

FellowCollector wrote: I can't figure out what purpose that little eyelet on top serves though. Doug
I believe that eyelet at one time held a 2&4 minute marker. It looks like when you move the lever back and forth to change the speed. The pointer will pivot back and forth also. If there was something on that eyelet it would point to it.
In any case a very cool item, looks home grown but something I'd keep for the collection.
My 2 cents

Larry Crandell