info on Tru Phonic please

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
emerson
Victor III

Re: info on Tru Phonic please

Post by emerson »

About the use of needles----there are different needles to give a soft tone, medium tone ,and loud tone. One of my first phonographs was a Silvertone console. I also see you repair tube radios, my Emerson phono/radio, uses a 1924 federal radio battery set. By the way, what state are you from? ---Herb

doc612
Victor Jr

Post by doc612 »

Hey, thanks for putting a name on my Tru-phonic! And I actually have the little finial from the leg stretchers, it fell off when I laid the phono on its back to transport. It uses a dowel to hold it in place and I guess it's a bit loose.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That's great! The cabinet is in about as nice condition as possible.

doc612
Victor Jr

Post by doc612 »

Photos of the reproducer:
tru 3.jpg
tru 4.jpg
When I rub the tip of the needle I get a good loud response through the horn. Might not need to be rebuilt.

doc612
Victor Jr

Post by doc612 »

Sorry for the slow reply Herb. I live in North Alabama. I started working on tube radios when I retired and it became an obsession. In just 3 years I have probably owned over 200 radios, but I sell some to keep buying parts and supplies. I also work on them for others.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

doc612 wrote:Thanks to all who replied. I have filed away the name of Ron Sitko, I will order "The compleat Talking Machine", and the motor does not gain resistance as it is wound so I have already disassembled it and am ready to take apart the 2 spring barrel. Think I'll wait for the book! As to the tip on only using the needle once, I have always heard that- but I got a box of needles with the player and on the box it says each needle can be used 10 times. Special needles or just bad advertising?
There are quite a few videos on youtube that show how to service these motors. This series shows work on a Victor two-spring motor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9i7zp-v9s, but there are other videos out there as well. It is a very dirty job, so nothing for the living quarters. Main springs are quite powerful and can hurt you if they come loose, so always wear protective cloths, sturdy gloves, and safety glasses.

Good luck!
Andreas

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Reproducer looks good- sometimes you can see them crumbling like old asphalt.

There is a good chance your machine has a Saal motor- Sears used them in the majority of Silvertone machines:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-acVNigecA[/youtube]

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

doc612 wrote:When I rub the tip of the needle I get a good loud response through the horn. Might not need to be rebuilt.
A re-build would probably still be worth it at some point. Most likely the rubber gaskets holding the diaphragm in place will have turned rock hard, and while it will still make noise, you will not get the full range possible because the diaphragm's compliance will be somewhat restricted. Along with limiting the mid-range and what bass there is, the treble will be somewhat exaggerated, there will be more surface noise--and, there may be increased needle wear.

Along this line, if there is a rubber washer in the throat of the sound box, where it connects to the tonearm, that too should be replaced if it has hardened.

OrthoFan

CMac1974
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Record, Machines, Records, Machines.... Decisions Decisions!

Post by CMac1974 »

I was scrolling through and Loved the page from the Sears Catalog. Could you please Post the top half of the page I have the Imperial which I am rebuilding. The motor it has is a 3 spring and all 3 springs need to be replaced. Can anyone direct me where I can get 3 springs for it?

I have added pictures of the cabinet, horn, motor and reproducer.

Thank you,
Attachments
SilvertoneReproducer.jpg
SilvertoneMotor.jpg
SilvertoneMotor.jpg (58.67 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
SilvertoneHorn.jpg
SilvertoneHorn.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Silvertone.jpg
Silvertone.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

CMac1974 wrote: The motor it has is a 3 spring and all 3 springs need to be replaced. Can anyone direct me where I can get 3 springs for it?
Ron Sitko
56 Church Hill Road.
Waterford NY 12188
Telephone (518) 371-8549
Hours: 7PM-10PM EST

George P.