Cabinet Record Dividers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
victorthesixth
Victor I

Cabinet Record Dividers

Post by victorthesixth »

What is the specific term for this for cabinets. I am not talking about stuff like Victor Folders. More like what Edison did with his diamond disc

For example this machine-http://www.phonographs.org/store/d-126b ... -1909.html

Jwb88
Victor II

Re: Cabinet Record Dividers

Post by Jwb88 »

I just call them individual record dividers. I'd like to know if there is an official term.

I'd never had a machine with them until recently. I just got one of the oft-loathed London Uprights. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite machines (for a small space), and the dividers are part of that reason. They work remarkably well. For those who don't know, they are thick cardboard, with the front edges wrapped in metal to provide stiffness, painted.

I took all mine out, made sure the metal was straight (no sharp protrusions) and waxed them for smoothness. Really hard to use with records in sleeves, but if you take them out of the sleeves, all you have to do is push back the neighboring discs to pull out the one you want. I think it's about as efficient Diamond Disc storage can get. The felt bumper rails inside allow for movement. And they easily accommodate 12" discs. This, along with the 10"/12" selector buttons, make it very obvious that in the early 1920s Edison was very seriously considering the 12" format.
Attachments
dividers1.jpg
dividers2.jpg
Dividers3.jpg