Phon-Arm Attachment

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Phon-Arm Attachment

Post by gramophone78 »

A rarely seen attachment used on Phonographs & Graphophones. The Phon-Arm attachment first appears in the September 1907 issue of Talking Machine World for $7.50 for use on Edison Standard, Home and Triumph models. Slightly later for Columbia BK,BE and BF models. However, it doesn't seem to be advertised for long. By February 1908 it was reduced in price to $6 and then faded away.

There is an example shown (for the Phonograph) in George & Tim's book "Gadgets,Gizmos & Gimmicks" (page 58).
Funnily enough, the ultra rare Devineau Biophone attachment is advertised at this time in TMW also and shown back to back in their book.....just coincidence.

The attachment I show uses a Victor horn type elbow (with Y clamp); Not a "slip in" elbow as shown in the 1908 ad. There is also a cast iron finger with a slight dimple on one side that pivots from side to side and held by one big nickel plate slotted screw.

It is hard to ascertain if there is a cast iron finger on the Phon-Arm shown in the book (on a Phonograph).

Of interest, the January 1908 TMW Phon-Arm ad states "improved construction allows horn to be turned in a complete circle"."Users appreciate this". Did users really appreciate this or did Victor for possible infringement...?.

Could this be the Graphophone version I show here..??. Can any member shed more information on this please?.
TMW September 1907.JPG
TMW January 1908.JPG
TMW February 1908.JPG
20180218_173047.jpg
20180218_173113.jpg
20180218_173144.jpg
20180218_173154.jpg
20180218_173107.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Phon-Arm Attachment

Post by Curt A »

It's interesting, but needs the front cabinet hook portion to work...

Also, it explains why horns are sometimes found with the ends cut off... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Curt A wrote:It's interesting, but needs the front cabinet hook portion to work...

Also, it explains why horns are sometimes found with the ends cut off... :lol:
This example appears to have had no "hook" as shown in the illustrations.
Hoping a member can post pics of another like this to compare.
20180219_053041.jpg
20180219_053004.jpg
Last edited by gramophone78 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

The example you post is for an Edison Standard. I have this very same one. The attachment swingarm fits between the Standard swingarm feedscrew. I posted my example as a featured phonograph. Your example is missing the tonearm and u-connector from the tone arm to the reproducer. See link for more details and pics.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=21940

Id be happy to answer any questions. Your example is now the 3rd one I I know of for a Standard. I dont know of any for Graphophones.

Scott

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

phonohound wrote:The example you post is for an Edison Standard. I have this very same one. The attachment swingarm fits between the Standard swingarm feedscrew. I posted my example as a featured phonograph. Your example is missing the tonearm and u-connector from the tone arm to the reproducer. See link for more details and pics.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=21940

Id be happy to answer any questions. Your example is now the 3rd one I I know of for a Standard. I dont know of any for Graphophones.

Scott
Scott, thank you very much for the information and thread link. I tried a search before posting. However, I searched under "Phon-Arm" as written in the ads... :oops:.
Your post explains everything as I was wondering about case sizes and how they would be adjustable to accommodate accordingly.

Regarding the tonearm....what holds the arm into the bracket..?.

If memory serves...I believe the example in the book is also on a Standard. Is that yours or is that the third one known..?. I guess I should have cleaned it a bit before I posted it.

Thanks so much again for this information.