The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OT (a little?) - Jewell Tube Tester 1932ish
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:10 am 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
Hiya folks,

Well, we've all heard of Jewel Phonoparts Co., but how 'bout Jewell (2 "L"'s) Electrical Instrument Co., in the later realm of vacuum tubes? Maybe this is getting a bit far into the later electronics realm for many of us, but I felt worthy of showing this thing of beauty. After all, the 20's, and 30's, was a time of massive growth for the technology, which usurped the acoustic reproduction world.

I found this whilst carousing some audio related websites (this particular series of images were found here: http://www.itishifi.com/)

I hope this post isn't seen as a too-far leap into the antique radio/electrical world, I just couldn't resist saying something about it here at TMF. ;)

Whatever your thoughts, this is a thing of beauty. :)

Attachment:
jewell_ad.jpg
jewell_ad.jpg [ 311.62 KiB | Viewed 220 times ]

Attachment:
jewell_ad2a_sm.jpg
jewell_ad2a_sm.jpg [ 257.38 KiB | Viewed 220 times ]

Attachment:
ctt6.jpeg
ctt6.jpeg [ 222.5 KiB | Viewed 220 times ]

Attachment:
ctt1.jpeg
ctt1.jpeg [ 180.4 KiB | Viewed 220 times ]
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Post subject: Re: OT (a little?) - Jewell Tube Tester 1932ish
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 am 
Victor Monarch Special
Who is John Galt?
Fran, just keep your stinkin' electrical stuff on some other forum - far away from our beloved spring motors.

I must admit that tube tester has a cool look to it. Sort of like the Universal Pictures laboratory set for Frankenstein. But look at the advertisement showing the dial markings... That red has really faded. If it were mine, I'd keep that dial protected from light except when being viewed. Of course, if it's in a museum, that's a problem. Florescent lights would make the problem worse.

Gee Fran, maybe that little local trip we've planned might turn up one of these for you! ;)

George P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 am 
Victor IV
fran604g wrote:
Hiya folks,

Well, we've all heard of Jewel Phonoparts Co., but how 'bout Jewell (2 "L"'s) Electrical Instrument Co., in the later realm of vacuum tubes? Maybe this is getting a bit far into the later electronics realm for many of us, but I felt worthy of showing this thing of beauty. After all, the 20's, and 30's, was a time of massive growth for the technology, which usurped the acoustic reproduction world.

I found this whilst carousing some audio related websites (this particular series of images were found here: http://www.itishifi.com/)

I hope this post isn't seen as a too-far leap into the antique radio/electrical world, I just couldn't resist saying something about it here at TMF. ;)

Whatever your thoughts, this is a thing of beauty. :)

Attachment:
jewell_ad.jpg

Attachment:
jewell_ad2a_sm.jpg

Attachment:
ctt6.jpeg

Attachment:
ctt1.jpeg

I owned (what I believe may be that specific example of the Jewell tester for quite a number of years. Won a couple of ribbons for the thing at radio meets. I sold it a few years ago when I was downsizing the radio collection.

It is a good unit, great eye value, but as a simple emission tester it is not as useful as one of the more advanced mutual conductance testers of the late 1930s.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am 
Victor IV
Neat. Bill k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
phonogfp wrote:
Fran, just keep your stinkin' electrical stuff on some other forum - far away from our beloved spring motors.

:lol: I won't make a habit of it, I promise (probably) ;)

phonogfp wrote:
Gee Fran, maybe that little local trip we've planned might turn up one of these for you! ;)

Heheh George, I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind...
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Last edited by fran604g on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:46 am 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
Uncle Vanya wrote:

I owned (what I believe may be that specific example of the Jewell tester for quite a number of years. Won a couple of ribbons for the thing at radio meets. I sold it a few years ago when I was downsizing the radio collection.

It is a good unit, great eye value, but as a simple emission tester it is not as useful as one of the more advanced mutual conductance testers of the late 1930s.

I have a couple of emission testers that I use, but just can't rationalize ( :lol: as if I'm rational) procuring a mutual conductance tester. Though I'd love to have one, and given the growing number of tube related appliances I seem to have, having one would be a good thing. Still...the $$$ though... ;)

Besides, I still have too many acoustic machines I'd love to add to my small collection.

I'm walking a tightrope, and I never know which way I might fall: electrical, or mechanical. :D

-Fran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:46 am 
Victor I
Hmmmmm... Pretty sure that's my tester (or was). Sold it last month. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/192418871602 And the pictures look eerily familiar too ;) Uncle Vanya is correct. It's a simple instrument that was designed more for looks than for performance. If you check out the photograph that shows the interior with the back off, you'll see that, despite all the bells and whistles on the front panel, there's no there there, as Gertrude Stein used to say about Oakland. But darned if it didn't work when I fired it up.

-- Grant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 am 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
Fonotone wrote:
Hmmmmm... Pretty sure that's my tester (or was). Sold it last month. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/192418871602 And the pictures look eerily familiar too ;) Uncle Vanya is correct. It's a simple instrument that was designed more for looks than for performance. If you check out the photograph that shows the interior with the back off, you'll see that, despite all the bells and whistles on the front panel, there's no there there, as Gertrude Stein used to say about Oakland. But darned if it didn't work when I fired it up.

-- Grant

It's interesting to find provenance here! I hope you approve of the pirated images, sorry if I may have stumbled onto your proprietary property :oops: . I notice that the blogger's post was from about a month ago.

Best,
Fran