OT (a little?) - Jewell Tube Tester 1932ish

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

OT (a little?) - Jewell Tube Tester 1932ish

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks,

Well, we've all heard of Jewel Phonoparts Co., but how 'bout Jewell (2 "L"'s) Electrical Instrument Co., in the later realm of vacuum tubes? Maybe this is getting a bit far into the later electronics realm for many of us, but I felt worthy of showing this thing of beauty. After all, the 20's, and 30's, was a time of massive growth for the technology, which usurped the acoustic reproduction world.

I found this whilst carousing some audio related websites (this particular series of images were found here: http://www.itishifi.com/)

I hope this post isn't seen as a too-far leap into the antique radio/electrical world, I just couldn't resist saying something about it here at TMF. ;)

Whatever your thoughts, this is a thing of beauty. :)
jewell_ad.jpg
jewell_ad2a_sm.jpg
ctt6.jpeg
ctt1.jpeg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: OT (a little?) - Jewell Tube Tester 1932ish

Post by phonogfp »

Fran, just keep your stinkin' electrical stuff on some other forum - far away from our beloved spring motors.

I must admit that tube tester has a cool look to it. Sort of like the Universal Pictures laboratory set for Frankenstein. But look at the advertisement showing the dial markings... That red has really faded. If it were mine, I'd keep that dial protected from light except when being viewed. Of course, if it's in a museum, that's a problem. Florescent lights would make the problem worse.

Gee Fran, maybe that little local trip we've planned might turn up one of these for you! ;)

George P.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

fran604g wrote:Hiya folks,

Well, we've all heard of Jewel Phonoparts Co., but how 'bout Jewell (2 "L"'s) Electrical Instrument Co., in the later realm of vacuum tubes? Maybe this is getting a bit far into the later electronics realm for many of us, but I felt worthy of showing this thing of beauty. After all, the 20's, and 30's, was a time of massive growth for the technology, which usurped the acoustic reproduction world.

I found this whilst carousing some audio related websites (this particular series of images were found here: http://www.itishifi.com/)

I hope this post isn't seen as a too-far leap into the antique radio/electrical world, I just couldn't resist saying something about it here at TMF. ;)

Whatever your thoughts, this is a thing of beauty. :)
jewell_ad.jpg
jewell_ad2a_sm.jpg
ctt6.jpeg
ctt1.jpeg
I owned (what I believe may be that specific example of the Jewell tester for quite a number of years. Won a couple of ribbons for the thing at radio meets. I sold it a few years ago when I was downsizing the radio collection.

It is a good unit, great eye value, but as a simple emission tester it is not as useful as one of the more advanced mutual conductance testers of the late 1930s.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Neat. Bill k

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:Fran, just keep your stinkin' electrical stuff on some other forum - far away from our beloved spring motors.
:lol: I won't make a habit of it, I promise (probably) ;)
phonogfp wrote:Gee Fran, maybe that little local trip we've planned might turn up one of these for you! ;)
Heheh George, I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind...
Last edited by fran604g on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
I owned (what I believe may be that specific example of the Jewell tester for quite a number of years. Won a couple of ribbons for the thing at radio meets. I sold it a few years ago when I was downsizing the radio collection.

It is a good unit, great eye value, but as a simple emission tester it is not as useful as one of the more advanced mutual conductance testers of the late 1930s.
I have a couple of emission testers that I use, but just can't rationalize ( :lol: as if I'm rational) procuring a mutual conductance tester. Though I'd love to have one, and given the growing number of tube related appliances I seem to have, having one would be a good thing. Still...the $$$ though... ;)

Besides, I still have too many acoustic machines I'd love to add to my small collection.

I'm walking a tightrope, and I never know which way I might fall: electrical, or mechanical. :D

-Fran

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

Hmmmmm... Pretty sure that's my tester (or was). Sold it last month. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/192418871602 And the pictures look eerily familiar too ;) Uncle Vanya is correct. It's a simple instrument that was designed more for looks than for performance. If you check out the photograph that shows the interior with the back off, you'll see that, despite all the bells and whistles on the front panel, there's no there there, as Gertrude Stein used to say about Oakland. But darned if it didn't work when I fired it up.

-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Fonotone wrote:Hmmmmm... Pretty sure that's my tester (or was). Sold it last month. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/192418871602 And the pictures look eerily familiar too ;) Uncle Vanya is correct. It's a simple instrument that was designed more for looks than for performance. If you check out the photograph that shows the interior with the back off, you'll see that, despite all the bells and whistles on the front panel, there's no there there, as Gertrude Stein used to say about Oakland. But darned if it didn't work when I fired it up.

-- Grant
It's interesting to find provenance here! I hope you approve of the pirated images, sorry if I may have stumbled onto your proprietary property :oops: . I notice that the blogger's post was from about a month ago.

Best,
Fran