Edison London Upright - fixed up on the cheap

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jwb88
Victor II

Re: Edison London Upright - fixed up on the cheap

Post by Jwb88 »

Larryh - Yes, I have two with the 150 size horn and I have heard a 250. The dance reproducer on my C-200 (which is still just a 150 size horn) does indeed sound better. On some dance records, there even is an illusion of bass. That being said, I think a 100 size horn sounds pretty good in a small room.

Tomb - Both of those projects sound fun. I like those Columbia baby regent tables! Never had anything like that but I've seen them.

I was thinking of someday putting all the trial and error "knowledge" I've gathered on a website. It's not much, and I'm hardly an expert, but practical information is hard to find.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

tomb wrote:Excellent job. A few more of these and you can open your own repair shop. A second job that you can enjoy. I jus purchased a baby grand regent by Columbia. It looks like a table but has the gramophone built into it. You may have seen it on Craig's list. I am in the process of putting together a suitcase home. I jus ordered the parts. Tom
SIGH....

My very first phonograph was a London Upright.

I purchased it at age 13 for $50.00 with my paper route money. That was 42 years ago. Brings back memories.

I Finally upgraded to an oak Laboratory Model which I also set up to play Long Play records as well with the gearing I pulled off of a junk machine and a New Old Stock Long Play reproducer. Sold it to my best friend who is the type who moves every few years. Two years ago he was making a major move from upstate Michigan to Dallas, TX and asked if I wanted it back. I told him to go ahead and sell it since I still have my memories.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I own an H-19 in mahogany with the fleur-de-lis grille, but I never considered it homely. I love the grille and the curving of the legs. To me, the homeliest Edison DD machine is the C-150 with the big oval grille.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

Nice job on the London upright. I do believe the cabinets for these were made at the Edison cabinet factory in New London Wi. The wood used though was most likely birch masquerading as mahogany under a brown stain. I think that was also the case for the Long Play cabinets and the Edisoncs too. Living in the Northern IL area close to Wisconsin the London upright does appear on a semi-regular basis. Of course the Baby console, another product of the same Edison cabinet factory, appears quite often also.

Too bad the later discs in the 52000 series don’t make many appearances. : (

Glenn
Last edited by Damfino59 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Really nice job! I wish I had your skills!

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

After working on it, I strongly believe the side panels, front and inside door panel, top and underside of lid are all mahogany. EVERYTHING ELSE? Yep, birch or something. Even the ogee curves of the lid are solid but appear not to be mahogany. Still, for $100, I think it was a good deal in 1922-23. If only Edison had offered this right after the war, I think it would have made more impact.

I recently made some experimental gaskets and I'm using this machine for testing. I'm amazed at how good this thing can sound. Having no mute ball greatly improves sound, imo.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

You did a great job of fixing it up.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Great Job!! Bill K

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

What a nice machine! I’d love to have one someday! All I have is Victrolas now but I was thinking about how nice an Edison would be! So glad you kept this one out of the trash heap!

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many of these were made? Is there any sort of resource showing the various Edison models?