Fibre Needles

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Teak
Victor II

Fibre Needles

Post by Teak »

last week, I bought this tin full of fibre needles on ebay. The images provided have been very bad, but I took a gamble and was pleasantly surprised and intrigued.
The 500 needles look pinkish, redish, with sadly no maker on it. (The pictures below are hd for your pixel peeping pleasure!)
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_1f2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1f6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1f4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1f3.jpeg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Fibre Needles

Post by epigramophone »

These look similar to the Burmese thorn needles still available from this UK supplier :
Attachments
dw.jpg
dw.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 1871 times

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Interesting, they don't look anything like my fibre needles !!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

briankeith wrote:Interesting, they don't look anything like my fibre needles !!
This is the other type of fibre needle, made from bamboo :
Attachments
fibre.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

epigramophone wrote:These look similar to the Burmese thorn needles still available from this UK supplier :
I will announce / advertise this more fully in due course, but just to avoid David Williams receiving unnecessary correspondence - I have recently taken over the entire Burmese Thorn needle manufacture and supply operation from him, so if anyone would like any, please PM or email me. Stocks are plentiful, and the price will remain unchanged in the short term pending a gentle re-launch, website, etc. in a month or two's time.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

The needles sound quite good, but it looks like I have bought a needle sharper for steel instead of fibre needles. The chuck is way to small for thorns. Is there a way to tell with the point master machines (colour?)?
fullsizeoutput_1fc.jpeg
The fine gentleman also threw in a couple of other needles. Two seem to have jeweled tips (ruby and ?). One is a curious contraption for small needles? I do not know what these would have been used for.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_1f9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1fa.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1fb.jpeg

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

The Pointmaster you have is fine for use with thorns.
It is the same as mine and I use it exclusively.
Check the following...
Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 7.50.14 PM.png
Try this and see if it works.
Unscrew the end and place a thorn in the fingers. Now screw it back together.
It just may be that fingers are closed more that they should be.

James.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Orchorsol wrote:
epigramophone wrote:These look similar to the Burmese thorn needles still available from this UK supplier :
I will announce / advertise this more fully in due course, but just to avoid David Williams receiving unnecessary correspondence - I have recently taken over the entire Burmese Thorn needle manufacture and supply operation from him, so if anyone would like any, please PM or email me. Stocks are plentiful, and the price will remain unchanged in the short term pending a gentle re-launch, website, etc. in a month or two's time.
Are there still Burmese thorn plants from which to make them? I had been under the impression that they had been harvested to extinction... :?

Bill

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Lucius1958 wrote:
Orchorsol wrote:
Are there still Burmese thorn plants from which to make them? I had been under the impression that they had been harvested to extinction... :?

Bill
Stocks of thorns harvested many decades ago are still in perfect condition and plentiful, enough for many decades to come!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Teak wrote:The needles sound quite good, but it looks like I have bought a needle sharper for steel instead of fibre needles. The chuck is way to small for thorns. Is there a way to tell with the point master machines (colour?)?
It may be possible to ease the fingers of the chuck apart, but be careful not to break them off. Some sharpeners originally came with several chucks for different sized thorns, especially into the 1950s when electric pickup designs used miniature thorns (about ⅓ the size of regular ones).

The small needle holder/adaptor might be for Edison Bell Chromic-Sympathetic needles.