The Biophone Attachment

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

The Biophone Attachment

Post by gramophone78 »

I thought I would post a thread regarding the ultra rare Devineau Biophone attachment. Actually, not on the attachment itself, but on how three major parts from three different places came together to complete 50% of a second attachment.
A few years ago I posted a thread on a newly found Biophone reproducer (the only part to carry the name) that was discovered originally in Alaska (of all places). Last year, I discovered the complete tonearm assembly....what are the odds. right.??.

Thinking finding these two parts were a monumental feat, a few months ago a third major part showed up. This being the S bracket that holds the tonearm assembly and reproducer from the Edison reoroducer throat.
So,in other words, the whole top part of the Biophone attachment.

If my luck keeps going...I should be able to complete it in another fifty plus years :lol:.

Finding these parts goes to show that there are many rare items still out there....some scattered by the wind, but are eventually found and come full circle where are recognized for future collectors.

Hope some find this interesting or even believable.. ;)
Biophone.jpg
100_5865.JPG
101_0478.JPG
Biophone Attachment (3).JPG
101_1538.JPG
IMG_0458.jpeg
IMG_0458.jpeg (76.19 KiB) Viewed 2432 times

coyote
Victor II

Re: The Biophone Attachment

Post by coyote »

It's amazing that another almost complete example of the Devineau Biophone exists. The reproducers in particular have great stories attached to their rediscovery.

Links to prior posts on Rene Rondeau's Biophone attachment:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=6760

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=6241

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I have been fortunate enough to see all of these parts, including the complete Biophone in person, since they now reside in Mike Lund's collection, about 4 miles away... He has an amazing collection of mechanical music ranging from a coin-op Harp, orchestrions, almost every Berliner variation including two K&R toy machines, Conn Double Bell Wonders and now the
Biophone... :shock:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Mlund2020
Victor II

Post by Mlund2020 »

It is truly amazing that you have been able to locate these 3 rare pieces and reunite them. It is especially amazing since only the reproducer is marked as being a Biophone part. Most people would not recognize the tonearm assembly and tonearm support arm as being valuable parts from the extremely rare Biophone. I have been completely in awe of your ability to locate, recognize and reunite these pieces. With the rarity of the Biophone (only one complete Biophone known to exist and now this now complete Biophone tone arm assembly come to light), it is extremely curious as to how these parts have become so scattered. The rarity combined with the fact that the pieces were so scattered and 2 of them unmarked makes it a small miracle that you were able to reunite them. The phonograph gods are definitely smiling on you these days.
Last edited by Mlund2020 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Is it one, or two - did Rene's go to Lund?

Of course to see one in action we can always go watch "My Fair Lady" - the one used as a prop in that film is likely the one Rene has/had. I'm too uncaffeinated so far this morning to click his links to see if that's discussed there.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Wayne

Amazing find!! It does not surprise me that you come across such great items. You are a credit to the hobby

I am sure there is a lot of knowledge and hard work in your finds but I am also sure you have trouble sitting down with all those horseshoes in your back pockets. :lol:

Bruce

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Is it one, or two - did Rene's go to Lund?

It's one complete Biophone from Rene, plus all of the extra parts from Wayne, which are now in Mike Lund's collection...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Similar concept, a european disc phonograph with a cylinder attachment...
Phonographische Zeitschrift 1906 combo.png
James.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

Seeking knowledge on this attachment, which appears to be a variant of other examples previously shown
Attachments
IMG955483.jpg

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

:shock: Wow. What's the story behind this piece?

Garret