Collecting

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dutchman
Victor IV

Collecting

Post by dutchman »

I think my auction strategy is flawed. After the last two auctions I have wound up with a Victor Model O missing the horn and horn elbow, a Standard Model A horn, back bracket, tone arm and reproducer missing the cabinet! Where have I gone wrong :shock: I have about 45 machines and I believe this is a message to wrap up collecting :( Cheers

Bill K

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: Collecting

Post by GregVTLA »

Maybe see if anyone on here is willing to trade?

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Do you bid online without seeing the items in person?
There's no substitute for inspecting something personally or through a knowledgeable friend.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

dutchman wrote:I think my auction strategy is flawed. After the last two auctions I have wound up with a Victor Model O missing the horn and horn elbow, a Standard Model A horn, back bracket, tone arm and reproducer missing the cabinet! Where have I gone wrong :shock: I have about 45 machines and I believe this is a message to wrap up collecting :( Cheers

Bill K
All that can turn into money if you bought it right. ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

The above posts are good ideas.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Thanks for the responses. The stuff was bought at two local auctions, the Model A which runs, and the Standard horn and complete back bracket were just too nice to let go. The Model O came with the the Searchlight horn, and the Standard horn was stacked on a table full of old tools. The reason I went for this stuff was I figured I could salvage both and secure the parts to complete them, after all they were popular machines. Unfortunately coming up with a Model A horn and elbow may not be easy.... :) Bill k

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I think that the model A horn and elbow should not be too hard to find. Do you attend any phono shows?
Dave

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

dutchman wrote:Thanks for the responses. The stuff was bought at two local auctions, the Model A which runs, and the Standard horn and complete back bracket were just too nice to let go. The Model O came with the the Searchlight horn, and the Standard horn was stacked on a table full of old tools. The reason I went for this stuff was I figured I could salvage both and secure the parts to complete them, after all they were popular machines. Unfortunately coming up with a Model A horn and elbow may not be easy.... :) Bill k
I'm confuzzled. I thought you had the Model A horn, arm, elbow, and back bracket but needed the cabinet or machine.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

gramophone-georg wrote:
dutchman wrote:Thanks for the responses. The stuff was bought at two local auctions, the Model A which runs, and the Standard horn and complete back bracket were just too nice to let go. The Model O came with the the Searchlight horn, and the Standard horn was stacked on a table full of old tools. The reason I went for this stuff was I figured I could salvage both and secure the parts to complete them, after all they were popular machines. Unfortunately coming up with a Model A horn and elbow may not be easy.... :) Bill k
I'm confuzzled. I thought you had the Model A horn, arm, elbow, and back bracket but needed the cabinet or machine.
Me too... :? :?: Completing a Standard Model A shouldn't be a problem, but the Victor O is another story...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

gramophone-georg wrote:
Typo, perhaps?

Bill