Edison Standard help wanted

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zapper
Victor II

Edison Standard help wanted

Post by zapper »

Hi
Can anyone tell me if an Edison Standard model B lid will fit a model C.
Thanks

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Standard help wanted

Post by phonogfp »

Yep - it will fit.

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Not to contradict George too much, but I'd say more like "maybe". The clips on my Tall style case model B don't quite line up with the latches on my Late style case model C. It will sit on the machine just fine but the latches don't lock it in place. Obviously, by filling in the holes and re-aligning the clips, it could be made to work. Depending on when it was made, your model C could have either style case.

The model B machines were pretty much all in Tall style cases. The model C machines started off in Tall cases and by about the 740,000s the Late style case was completely phased in.

The way to tell them apart is that the Tall style case sits on a baseboard with a profiled edge (about 1" thick)and the lid moulding has an extra ¼" indented lip at the bottom (that the Late style lid doesn't have). The Late style case has the bottom surrounded by a profiled moulding (about 2") with no lip on the bottom of the lid moulding.

If you'd care to post photos of the parts in question, I'm sure we could make a mountain out of a molehill...er, ah...help out. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps.

Martin

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I think it should. I have a lid from a model D standard on my model A machine and it fits just fine.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

martinola wrote:Not to contradict George too much, but I'd say more like "maybe". The clips on my Tall style case model B don't quite line up with the latches on my Late style case model C. It will sit on the machine just fine but the latches don't lock it in place. Obviously, by filling in the holes and re-aligning the clips, it could be made to work. Depending on when it was made, your model C could have either style case.

The model B machines were pretty much all in Tall style cases. The model C machines started off in Tall cases and by about the 740,000s the Late style case was completely phased in.

The way to tell them apart is that the Tall style case sits on a baseboard with a profiled edge (about 1" thick)and the lid moulding has an extra ¼" indented lip at the bottom (that the Late style lid doesn't have). The Late style case has the bottom surrounded by a profiled moulding (about 2") with no lip on the bottom of the lid moulding.

If you'd care to post photos of the parts in question, I'm sure we could make a mountain out of a molehill...er, ah...help out. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps.
Sometimes with these lids you can adjust them to fit. I have had to shim the latches out a little using a slip of paper so the latch slides thru the locking hole. Once I was desperate because it would not latch and filed the locking hole out a little so the latch would go in. Tha was later replaced for the correct lid. You just have to put it on and take a chance. The side hole can be reamed with a small flat file too. Those latches were well built. Tom
Martin