VV 4-7 questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Estey Organ
Victor Jr

VV 4-7 questions

Post by Estey Organ »

Does the 4-7 have a wooden or metal horn? The books say folded. Does anyone have an approximate weight?
Thanks!

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: VV 4-7 questions

Post by AZ* »

My VV 4-7 is one of the first Victrolas I purchased about 50 years ago.

Horn is wood. Weight is approximately 70-80 pounds (estimate).
Best regards ... AZ*

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

This is mine from when I had it out doing the glycerin/denatured alcohol treatment on it.
Attachments
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG (67.81 KiB) Viewed 1485 times

Estey Organ
Victor Jr

Post by Estey Organ »

Thank you, Gentlemen! Good info.
Just bought one locally on eBay. Liked the sound from a few others I’ve heard-and far better sounding than the 4-3.
This will be my first fully Orthophonic Victrola! Love that horn photo!
What is involved in the glycerine/denatured alcohol treatment? Does that help seal the wood?

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Estey Organ wrote:Thank you, Gentlemen! Good info.
Just bought one locally on eBay. Liked the sound from a few others I’ve heard-and far better sounding than the 4-3.
This will be my first fully Orthophonic Victrola! Love that horn photo!
What is involved in the glycerine/denatured alcohol treatment? Does that help seal the wood?
Yes, the process is to restore moisture to the horn and ostensibly seal it. I didn't find it a difficult process on this small of an orthophonic horn, but I've heard some think it's messy or even unhelpful. Perhaps others will weigh in. Since I live in a hot and dry part of California and the machine spent its life here, I thought it best to try it. I find it's a terrific-sounding machine. While not a Credenza or one of the larger Orthophonics, I find the sound very pleasing. I live in a small house, so it fits nicely in the space. As far as comparing the 4-7 to the 4-3 (I own both), I can't say I think the 4-7 necessarily sounds "better," but will say it sounds "different." There is perhaps more of a rounded, full-body sound on the 4-7 as opposed to the direct forward reproduction of the 4-3 with its sparkling highs and mid range.

Here is one link on the forum addressing the horn treatment: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 9&start=10

Good luck with your "new" Victrola!

Estey Organ
Victor Jr

Post by Estey Organ »

That rounded sound quality is what attracted me to the 4-7. I, too, live in a small space and my instruments take up most of the room!

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Especially when one is a "Model T"... ;)

:coffee:
De Soto Frank