Victrolas with the electric motor option

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
apruizii
Victor II

Victrolas with the electric motor option

Post by apruizii »

What is the overall market for Victrolas with the electric motor option? Is the value about the same as the hand crank version? I'm going to check out my first one today or tomorrow. It's a VE 4-40X that appears to be in great shape, and would appreciate any information about it's value.

Thanks,

Adolfo

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Victrolas with the electric motor option

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I'd say an electric motor adds no extra value to a machine of that period. Some collectors, in fact, stay away from them!
That said, I myself have several of these and enjoy them. They're particularly convenient in consoles, where you don't have to lean over to wind each time.
This model has the later simple induction disc motor with fewer moving parts. The main issue I've observed are that the two magnetic coils can sometimes buzz or hum loudly when current is applied. This vibration can usually be eliminated by tapping small wood shims between the coils and surrounding metal supports, as described in the Victor repair manual reprint in Baumbach's "Look for The Dog" book. Other than that there's very little to go wrong.

The electric wiring is very straightforward and easy to replace if worn.
If the machine is in otherwise fine condition and you're open to having an electric example, I'd say it's a good choice!

Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

The electric motor was typically an extra cost item, and thus quantities are usually far less than spring-wound versions. I always opt for electric motors because I hate winding. The Victor induction disc motor that's in the 4-40 you're considering is reliable and quiet, and will make it easier for you to enjoy your records, more frequently.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree with Bob and Peter on all points.

The "wind it up" thing loses its novelty pretty fast when you're playing a lot of records. There's a Credenza here with an electric motor (induction, of course), and it's my go-to player when I just want to hear some of my favorites.

When I'm showing non-collectors around, they get the "wind it up" routine.

A 4-40 with the induction motor (a $35 option at the time) sounds like it could become your best friend! :)

George P.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

I ended up picking it up today and the motor is quiet and runs great!

Thanks everyone for your feedback about the electric motor Victrolas. I appreciate it!!

AR

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

apruizii wrote:I ended up picking it up today and the motor is quiet and runs great!

Thanks everyone for your feedback about the electric motor Victrolas. I appreciate it!!

AR
That is great news. I love my electric credenza. I agree with George that you should love your newfound simplicity to listening to multiple records in one sitting.