Questions about the VE 4-40X

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
apruizii
Victor II

Questions about the VE 4-40X

Post by apruizii »

After receiving feedback from a couple of forum members about the value and record playing convenience of the electric Victrola, I decided to pick up my first electric Victrola today, the VE 4-40X. It has an induction motor and works great. It came with the original power cord but I'm using an extension cord for safety. When I removed the back I noticed what appeared to look like metal plumbing material with a flange attaching to the horn. Is this correct? It appears that the wiring to the on/off switch under the platter isn't original, correct? I also noticed the grill is attached upside down and am having a hard time removing it. How does it come off? I was trying to take off the motor board to see if I could get the grill off from the inside but am afraid I could do damage to the wiring. Are there any recommendations?

I've attached some photos.

Thanks!

AR
Attachments
20180225_191631.jpg
20180225_191421.jpg

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Questions about the VE 4-40X

Post by barnettrp21122 »

The horn connection looks correct, and the switch wiring is replaced, as you've noted. You should be able to lift up the motorboard without messing up any wiring, provided there is enough slack. There should be a plug connection you can undo. Someone else may have advice removing the grill; I'm not familiar with that model.
I hope you post pictures of your new machine!
Good luck!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Bob,

Thanks for confirming the horn connections are correct and an happy everything is working. However, I see that the light blue flange connecting to the throat of the horn is only secured at one end with a bolt and screw. The other end of the flange is missing a bolt but I see signs of cracking around the hole for the bolt and am concerned whether putting in a bolt and tightening it would break off the end. Do you know if the flanges are available?

Like you said I found the plug and disconnected it and pulled off the motor board. With the motor board removed, the grill just slides straight up and I was able to put it back in correctly.

Thanks,

AR

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

AR,

Don't worry too much about the "light blue" flange or its missing bolt. That piece is not replaceable. Don't try to disassemble it as it will likely crumble into bits. Instead, place a nice continuous bead of silicone sealant in the three places I've indicated below.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Also, snug up all these screws and the nut. Chances are, the cork gaskets have shrunk with age. Tightening up these areas will help to reseal those joints and improve the sound quality. In short, you want an air-tight horn.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.77 KiB) Viewed 985 times

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

JerryVan,

Thanks for the information and for taking the time to send the photos. That helps a lot. I appreciate it!

Maybe you could answer this question...My machine came with a bronze finish tone arm without the black overhang bracket. I've seen these type of tone arms on the Credenza and the VV 4-3. Is this original to the machine or was the tone arm with the overhang bracket and the one without the overhang bracket interchangeable?

I've attached a photo from the internet of the type I have (but mine has a bronze finish).

Thanks,

AR
Attachments
victrola-vv-4-3-tone-arm.jpg
victrola-vv-4-3-tone-arm.jpg (14.89 KiB) Viewed 944 times

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Your tone arm support is of the earlier type and correct as far as I can tell. I don't think the bases are interchangeable. I find these supports easier to maintain.
Hope this helps!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Bob,

Thanks for confirming the tone arm support is correct for the Victrola. Yes these supports are easier to maintain. The overhang bracket tends to get brittle and break at the tip.

AR