Two phonographs for One.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Two phonographs for One.

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Just for fun,from the May 1914 The Youth's Companion here's a scan of an ad for the Union Specialty adapter to allow your Victor or Columbia to play " the beautiful new EDISON disc records." They weren't cheap. I've never seen one of these up here in Canada.

Jim
Attachments
edison adapter.jpg

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Two phonographs for One.

Post by travisgreyfox »

Awesome! I'll take 2 please :D

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Interesting that it could be had at a discount with a sapphire stylus; I wonder how well that held up in practice? And how well a sapphire and Edison discs would have gotten along? Mind you, I also wonder how many of these things would have sold in the first place. One thing is for sure: the advertising department's artists did a, uh, fabulous job of depicting an Edison record label! :lol:

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

drh wrote:One thing is for sure: the advertising department's artists did a, uh, fabulous job of depicting an Edison record label! :lol:
I'm sure Edison's legal department had something to do with this...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Union Specialty & Playing began as a small die casting shop catering to the automobile industry in 1906. They added a line of talking machine accessories in 1914. Moved from Prospect Avenue to the West Side of Cleveland during an expansion for war work in 1916, and subsequently moved to Canton Ohio. For the past sixty years they have concentrated in making high quality investment castings for streetscape work (bollards, street lights, lamp poles, etc.) In 2011 they were purchased by a Massachusetts hedge fund and were loaded with debt, which primarily was incurred to pay the "management fees" imposed by the new owners. The operations of the firm ceased this past month, for the company could no longer continue operation with its heavy debt load. 368 workers, some of while have more than thirty years with the company, are now unemployed.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Uncle Vanya wrote:Union Specialty & Playing began as a small die casting shop catering to the automobile industry in 1906. They added a line of talking machine accessories in 1914. Moved from Prospect Avenue to the West Side of Cleveland during an expansion for war work in 1916, and subsequently moved to Canton Ohio. For the past sixty years they have concentrated in making high quality investment castings for streetscape work (bollards, street lights, lamp poles, etc.) In 2011 they were purchased by a Massachusetts hedge fund and were loaded with debt, which primarily was incurred to pay the "management fees" imposed by the new owners. The operations of the firm ceased this past month, for the company could no longer continue operation with its heavy debt load. 368 workers, some of while have more than thirty years with the company, are now unemployed.
But I'm sure the "financial engineers" made out like bandits.

Ouch.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Little Canton, Ohio was also home to King Cole Co. which produced Nipper.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek