Indestructible Model N Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
5Orient5
Victor Jr

Indestructible Model N Reproducer

Post by 5Orient5 »

Has anyone discovered the patent number(s) and name of the inventor of the Model N? A preliminary patent search has turned up nothing. As each of the three or four examples of the reproducer that I've seen is only marked "PAT'S APPLIED FOR", this leads me to wonder if any part of it was ever actually patented. I'd especially like to know if there was one granted covering the stylus.
Thanks

rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Indestructible Model N Reproducer

Post by rgordon939 »

I think the patent number is 936,826 and was granted to Richard B Smith of New York, NY on March 1, 1909. In an advertisement by the Indestructible Record Company is shows the reproducers selling for $3.00.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
7BC19036-A406-48DC-8688-A7275208000E.jpeg

5Orient5
Victor Jr

Post by 5Orient5 »

Thank you very much for suppling the patent number and name. That is exactly the information I needed. I simply did not proceed far enough forward date wise stopping my search at 1908 for some unknown reason. Now that I have a name of the inventor, I see that he received two other reproducer patents in 1909.
I appreciate your help.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Glad to help. I really enjoy playing Indestructible Cylinders with my Model-N Reproducer. It plays much louder and clearer.

Rich Gordon

5Orient5
Victor Jr

Post by 5Orient5 »

I have not tried my Model N as I am concerned that the sapphire may be broken. It is difficult to see even with a loupe. What I am able to see is about the size of an Edison Model H. This may simply be the remains of something that was larger. I was hoping to read a description of the sapphire in the patent but I don't find it mentioned. Is the stylus on your Model N large enough to see and is it wedge shaped as the ad mentions?
Thanks again.