Victor Horn Decals

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonofreak
Victor VI

Victor Horn Decals

Post by Phonofreak »

I was thumbing through my Looking For The Dog book for a review. In the pictures, there were illustrations of the Victor C, E, R, and the Z. These pictures showed a circular dog decal on the horn. All my small front and rear mount horns never had a decal, or any indication of one. Are the pictures in the book an artist's rendition, or were there variations of these horns?
Harvey Kravitz

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Victor Horn Decals

Post by Phonofreak »

Does anyone know?
Harvey Kravitz

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Harvey,
I can't provide any specifics, but I've encountered many earlier Victors whose horns never had a decal. I don't know when the Victor horn decals appeared, but I'm thinking around late 1903/early 1904.

Maybe Bob Baumbach will see this thread and offer better information.

George P.

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi Harvey,
I can't imagine that anyone really knows. But I can agree with you that I have not seen (and I have seen MANY) smaller front mount Victor horns and none of them had the decal as was illustrated in catalogs.

The rendition I want to see in real life is a rigid arm machine with an all brass horn with the HMV logo etched (is what the drawing looks like) on the barrel of the horn. But I do not believe that ever existed as well.

John
Horns rolled and straightened

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Here is the ad for the horn John mentioned. I posed this question in a post a few years ago.
Attachments
Rigid MS ad.jpg
Rigid MS ad.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it's different what the actual horns look like, as opposed to the catalog pictures. That might be an interesting future article in the "I Saw It In The Catalog Series" by Shawn O'Rourke.
Harvey Kravitz

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

Harvey -

I always assumed that the pre-dog Victors (regardless of model) did not have decals on the horn and the rest had decals. Of course you know what they say about assuming?

Kent

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Kent, You're right about that. The early front mount horns with a leather elbow, never had a decal. Also, the larger front mount horns with a threaded end have decals, at least the ones that I have seen and own. On my 14" horns either front or real mount, don't have decals. That's why I posted this question.
Harvey kravitz