Victrola VV-405 Reproducer Removal

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
John3313
Victor Jr

Victrola VV-405 Reproducer Removal

Post by John3313 »

Hello,

You have an amazing Forum here and I have used existing posts several times to help in the restoration of a VV-405 for my daughter (missing and lifting veneer, dog chewing, lots of staining, etc.) In cleaning the reproducer arm I noticed the diaphragm is cracked so I bought a rebuild kit. The picture shows where I have encountered a challenge: after loosening the two screws which hold the reproducer onto the arm, and letting some penetrating oil soak into the interface, I still can't budge the reproducer. I searched the Forum but wasn't able to find a procedure for removing this part. Since it is pot metal I am loathe to apply too much force. Have you any suggestions on how to proceed?

John
Attachments
VV-405 Reproducer.jpg

Victor VI

Re: Victrola VV-405 Reproducer Removal

Post by 52089 »

The screws do not hold the reproducer on the arm, they hold the rubber flange onto the reproducer. The flange has a pin that fits into a groove on the arm. If you're trying to just lift the reproducer off, it won't go because the pin is locked into a notch on the arm.

First, tighten the flange screws again. Hold the arm in your left hand so that the mica side of the reproducer is facing you. You should then use your right hand to rotate the reproducer counter-clockwise as far as it will go, maybe 15-20 degrees. Once you get to that point, you should be able to wiggle the reproducer around and slide it off the arm.

Good luck!

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

What 52089 said. Also this link may help: https://www.nipperhead.com/old/vic405.htm . See esp. pages 3-4-5.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

And... no pot metal there. ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

John3313
Victor Jr

Post by John3313 »

Thanks for your help! It took a mighty twist but it finally turned to the 'stop' and then I could walk it off. The old rubber bushing is as hard as a rock. Here is what it looks like with the reproducer taken off of the arm:
Attachments
VV-405 Repro Apart.jpg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I'm glad you were successful. Rebuilding the reproducer is not too difficult, except for removing the rubber back flange. You will find tips and tricks for doing that posted on the board.

Be sure to post before and after pics when you're done!

John3313
Victor Jr

Post by John3313 »

A few pictures of the process ...
Attachments
Here the screw is exposed and a small pliers was then used to work the screw head back-and-forth until it was removed.
Here the screw is exposed and a small pliers was then used to work the screw head back-and-forth until it was removed.
The slot in the screw was worn and wouldn't turn after anti-seize applied.  I used a low-speed Dremel to cut away the mica around the screw.  Turns out the diaphragm was under significant tension (not in a neutral position as the rebuild instructions say.)
The slot in the screw was worn and wouldn't turn after anti-seize applied. I used a low-speed Dremel to cut away the mica around the screw. Turns out the diaphragm was under significant tension (not in a neutral position as the rebuild instructions say.)
Here is the crack in the mica diaphragm
Here is the crack in the mica diaphragm

John3313
Victor Jr

Post by John3313 »

So I see that one should load the pictures in reverse order. Next step is to wait for the rubber bushing to arrive (I thought I had ordered everything I needed but it was not to be ....)