Amberol 50 issue

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Amberol 50 issue

Post by Victrolacollector »

I just got my motor mounted in my cabinet . I put on a cylinder and noticed that when the reproducer reaches toward the end of the Cylinder that it slows down. With the lift lever in the up position the stylus touches the cylinder when returning the carriage, but only touches the cylinder about the last ⅓ of the cylinder. I have tried different cylinders same problem.

I have adjusted the height adjustment screw as far up as it will go. Any suggestions? Could it be that the stylus link cord is too short? It is the original Diaphragm and link cord.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Amberol 50 issue

Post by Lucius1958 »

I know I have had issues adjusting the reproducer and half nut on my 30.

If the record is slowing down in play, try adjusting the half nut pressure on the feed screw, and see what that does.

As for the stylus touching the cylinder when the lever is up, you might try loosening the pivot screw on the reproducer a bit. See if that helps.

Bill

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Lucius1958 wrote:I know I have had issues adjusting the reproducer and half nut on my 30.

If the record is slowing down in play, try adjusting the half nut pressure on the feed screw, and see what that does.

As for the stylus touching the cylinder when the lever is up, you might try loosening the pivot screw on the reproducer a bit. See if that helps.

Bill

Hey Bill:

I did what you mentioned, and it helped with the slowing down. I ended up having to adjust the horn spring on the machine, this now gives enough clearance for the stylus and record. If the record is a little out of round that might be a problem as far as the stylus contacting the record in the up position. I have not checked that yet. I was looking at my Amberola 30 and it has good stylus clearance in the upper position, I just can't see the difference between the two machines.

Jerry

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

There's no real difference between the 30 and the 50 mechanisms, except for single vs. double spring. As I said, it takes some fiddling around to get things just right.

Bill