Show us Your 1920's/'30's Record Changer(s)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
startgroove
Victor III

Re: Show us Your 1920's/'30's Record Changer(s)

Post by startgroove »

Here's one more from our record changer collection. It was built by Kelley Music Company, Los Angeles, CA. Using a 1931 RCA radio and 1931 Capehart 10-12 drop changer, housed in a custom mirrored cabinet. It is 5 ft 4 inches tall, with a clock that can be set to a starting time.
Photographing this beast was quite difficult. The numerous reflections cause a bit of confusion to the images, hopefully you will forgive my mediocre photography. Russie
Attachments
IMG_3070.JPG
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3093.JPG
IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_3092.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3095.JPG

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

startgroove wrote:Here's one more from our record changer collection. It was built by Kelley Music Company, Los Angeles, CA. Using a 1931 RCA radio and 1931 Capehart 10-12 drop changer, housed in a custom mirrored cabinet. It is 5 ft 4 inches tall, with a clock that can be set to a starting time.
Photographing this beast was quite difficult. The numerous reflections cause a bit of confusion to the images, hopefully you will forgive my mediocre photography. Russie
HOLY **** :o

This is a Deco masterpiece! Is the whole thing contemporary with its components?

-Bill

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Bill,
This piece was owned by a Hollywood Producer/Director known as Leo Popkin. (The first picture below is of Leo about 1940). I met him in 1984 and visited him at his home in Beverly Hills, the rear side of which backed up to the golf course. The home was built starting in the 1960's and was about 20,000 square feet.
At the time of my visit, one wing of the home was not finished, and was being used for storage. We talked about our interests, and upon mentioning that I collected radios and phonographs, he announced that he would show me a special one. I followed him into the unfinished area, which was used for storage, and there was this beautiful piece. The area was not very well lit, but I could tell that it was something special. He explained that he had ordered it new in 1931, after a successful run of a film he had produced. (He also showed me his car, which was a 1963 Chrysler 300, which was also custom modified for him. I was amazed at the front seat set up, where they swiveled as the door opened and then closed, and the upper part of the door had a flap which opened upward for easier entering or exiting the car. Leo was quite tall, so I could see the value to him of that arrangement.)
For several years after that, I visited him on occasion, and then lost contact until about 2004. I read a newpaper story about him, that he had lost his sister recently, and had put his huge home on the market. I wondered about the radio/phonograph, and had no luck contacting him. I knew a friend of his, and contacted her to find out about Leo. She explained that Leo was unable to care for himself alone and that he was temporarily staying at a hotel in Beverly Hills. I asked about his belongings and was told there would be a sale in a few months. The sale was in North Hollywood, apparently managed by a relative, who had little sentimental interest in Leo's estate items. I managed to acquire the radio/phonograph at that time, and a few other smalls.
Since then, I've learned that the Kelly Music Company was who built the piece. "In 1929, Paul Williams presented his design for a new branch of the popular Kelly Music Company. Moving to the "Town Made For The Gown" was a natural step for the music store." (Southern California Business, March, 1930). Kelly Music specialized in selling musical instruments, phonograph records, printed sheet music, (and related items). By expanding to an area near the developing UCLA Campus, the company was following its young, influential customers.
Built for $28,000 the new Kelly Music opened with great fanfare in March 1930. “Motion Picture stars will speak and song writers will broadcast their compositions as part of the program” carried live by radio station KFWB. The first customers lined up to enter the store via one of five tile and stucco ground level archways. Graceful curved, wrought Iron stairways took patrons to an open second floor filled with display cases and listening stations. Large custom-designed hanging iron lamps, Turkish rugs, ornate tile work and “hand carved” furniture completed the Mediterranean feel. (Los Angeles Times, March 13, 1930). Kelly Music was a success! See the second picture below of the original façade of the building.
The radio/phonograph itself appears to resemble a “sky-scraper”. The Los Angels City Hall was completed just a few years earlier, and seems to be the most likely inspiration for the design of this piece. The third picture shows the City Hall just after it was completed in 1928.
Attachments
Leo Popkin.jpg
Leo Popkin.jpg (6.84 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG (142.52 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3097.JPG (130.22 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Fascinating background! Thanks for sharing it. :)

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

startgroove wrote:Here's one more from our record changer collection. It was built by Kelley Music Company, Los Angeles, CA. Using a 1931 RCA radio and 1931 Capehart 10-12 drop changer, housed in a custom mirrored cabinet. It is 5 ft 4 inches tall, with a clock that can be set to a starting time.

All it's missing is King Kong hanging off the top of it! :)

Seriously though, an awesome piece! How great that it's saved and appreciated.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Your Welcome, George.

Jerry, Great idea! Lori will be looking for a proportional sized gorilla to hang near the top! TNX, Russie

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

startgroove wrote:Your Welcome, George.

Jerry, Great idea! Lori will be looking for a proportional sized gorilla to hang near the top! TNX, Russie

Excellent.... 8-)

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Wow! I love it, my wife hates it. Yin/yang, as usual. ;) :lol:

Seriously, I've never seen anything that screams "Art Deco" quite as nicely.

Thank you for sharing it with us!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Dada is nada, but deco echoes on.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

This is just stunning! I've seen it in person and there is nothing like it that I have ever seen anywhere. A really fun machine.