Question about winding shaft on amberola 30

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Chilesave
Victor II

Question about winding shaft on amberola 30

Post by Chilesave »

I have a question that I hope someone has seen this problem before. When i screw the crank into the winding shaft, it just spins and doesnt windup the phono. The crank threads in and out just fine.

Also, I can grip the end of the winding shaft with pliers and wind up the phonograph.

I cant see why the crank spins when it is threaded into the winding shaft.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Question about winding shaft on amberola 30

Post by Lucius1958 »

Have you tried another crank of the same diameter and thread?

Have you checked whether the spring winds up enough with the pliers to play a cylinder? If so, the problem may be worn threads on the crank, or in the shaft.

Bill

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Does the crank actually turn the winding shaft? Sounds like either the crank or shaft or both have stripped threads. Makes me concerned for the threads as well when you say you turn the shaft with a plier.

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

Thanks. It turns out the threads inside the shaft were stripped. It had been overwound. I lubricated everything and it ran for a long ng itme. I can wrap a piece of foil around the cramk and it works fine. This was a barn find. I bet it was way over wound since it wouldnt run., when. All it needed was cleaning and lubrication. I found a new winding shaft on ebay to fix it correctly.

I had never seen this before. The threads are enough to wind the crank in and out nicely; but, not enough to wind the machine and give way under slight pressure.