Daily Automatic Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Rodney
Victor Jr

Re: Daily Automatic Phonograph

Post by Rodney »

Thank you Dan I am keen for this machine to get as much publicity as possible in the hope that somebody may know anything about it. At present it seems to be the only one in the world ?????
And how did it get to poor little Western Australia (well it is bigger than Texas)

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I found a few of images, one being an advertisement which might prove useful. They did say the dates were 1927, 1928, and 1929 but I don't where they got that unless it is on the ad backside or something. The site did not have any information other than these images. It appears they are a bit different than the one you show in your pictures and it is. And one, or all of them, are coin-ops.
Daily Automatci Phonograph adv.png
Daily Automatci Phonograph.jpg
Daily Automatic N-I-S-P.png
The Quadraphone.jpg
quadraphone adv.png
Last edited by melvind on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodney
Victor Jr

Post by Rodney »

Thank you Dan
Talking Machine World Feb 1928 P 76 announces the introduction of this machine

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

That's a very interesting video demonstration! I wonder where the constant knocking sound is coming from?
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

As others have stated...very cool machine. I see the office building is still standing.
932 Wrightwood.JPG

Rodney
Victor Jr

Post by Rodney »

The ticking sound probably comes from my badly cut gears. The originals were pot metal and so badly degraded as to be unserviceable.
The slower knock comes from the drive. The motor spindle runs with a friction drive onto a large (about 14") wheel with a rubber tyre - (an O ring) I haven't yet obtained a suitable ring and have used a length of round section rubber glued to make a circle. The bump is the join. I hope to improve on that shortly.
Attachments
Address.JPG

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

The Daily was discussed also in this earlier thread:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ly&start=0

Rodney
Victor Jr

Post by Rodney »

Thank you Silvertone
The machine from the earlier post is very likely also a Daily with an earlier mechanism. It resembles the 1926 patent 1,599,876
Daily was granted at least 4 patents for similar mechanisms
It's good to know that there is at least one other Daily out there somewhere.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Does anyone know whether Daily produced a series of four records that could be played in order to provide a longer listening experience?

The Symphonion Eroica music box had three separate disc mechanisms and a series of special 3 disc record sets to play on it... just wondering...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I’m at a friend’s house and for years I’ve seen this coin operated music box. I heard it and admired it, that was that. We got to talking the day after this thread was posted and he reminded me that he had a Daily. “What!’, I said. I never saw it. He told me that I had, but just its cabinet. The mechanism disintegrated years earlier and he repurposed the case.

This may be the only surviving Daily Automatic full size cabinet!

James.

PS: I'm glad that I had the chance to photograph the cabinet and share it in this thread. He told me that he's just sold it to a local collector.
Daily Cabinet.png
Last edited by Roaring20s on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.