Featured Phonograph No. 136 Columbia Regent (special order)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph No. 136 Columbia Regent (special order)

Post by melvind »

Make: Columbia
Model: Regent Desk or Library Table model - special order one of a kind - Circassian Walnut
Serial #: There is no serial number anywhere on the machine (that I could find)
Year(s) Made: 1909?
Original Cost: $200+ the standard 1909 model sold for $200. I imagine this was cost more.
Case/Cabinet Size: 46" wide, 29" deep, 30" high
Turntable/Mandrel: 12" cast iron
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Columbia #6
Motor: Columbia 4 spring windup motor
Horn Dimensions: 14" wide and 7" high at the outside opening
Reproduction Parts: One set screw on the motor is new.
Current Value: $1500 - $2000
Interesting Facts: This phonograph was presented on the old Probaords Antique Talking Machines site in March 2009 shortly after I acquired the machine. The pictures of the outside of the machine are mostly from that original post because the machine is hard to access and photograph in my new home. I added a couple of pictures from its current location and of the motor as well. This is a machine I doubt I will ever sell and I am sure no one will ever find one that matches it.

If you look at the old site thread you will see some questioning of the lack of a Columbia decal and model or serial numbers. Some thought the machine had been refinished, but it has not. Everything is clearly original and there has been no messing around with the finish since it was new. At the time I had a conversation with Robert Baumbach about the machine and he had never seen this model and it is not shown in any of the literature. Based on the type of phonograph and the basic style it was dated from about 1909, which is early for a Columbia Regent phonograph. Robert indicated he believed it was a special order and was specially built for a private customer or for an exhibition. This is what I believe to be the case.

Note that the machine is made of Circassian Walnut and has the elaborate carving on both the front and the back. The gothic type look is very similar to the later Columbia Gothic machines and it makes me think the cabinet might have been custom built for Columbia by the Orsenigo Company as were the later machines. I have nothing that shows this to be true other than the look and quality of the carving.

The old Proboards Antique Talking Machines site from 2009 in the PHONOFOCUS LINKS section (while it still works):
http://victrolagramophones.proboards.com/thread/294

The original pictures from 2009 of the outside of the machine
01 regent.jpg
02 regent.jpg
03 front regent.jpg
04 front close up regent.jpg
05 back regent.jpg
06 regent.jpg
07 regent.jpg
Today in my current house
08 20180308_110748.jpg
09 20180308_110736.jpg
Last edited by melvind on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 136 Columbia Regent (special ord

Post by melvind »

The motor was serviced in the fall of 2017 and runs like a dream. Cliff from the forum did the work and it was excellent as his work always is. Before he worked on it the motor would barely play a record and would not run fast enough.

The motor and below
10 20180308_150442.jpg
11 20180308_150456.jpg

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

That is one beautiful machine!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

wow! You sure have some rare and unusual phonographs. I love the Gothic style carving and decoration. Thank you very much for sharing this exceptional beauty.

Andreas

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Dan, that must indeed have been a one-of-a-kind special order. I wonder if the effigies represented someone in the family?

Thanks for posting this. :)

George P.

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Outstanding phonograph/desk. And your signs and accessories are equally impressive! Thanks for sharing - hope to see them in person in the future.

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Wow! :shock: Awesome machine, even more awesome setup! Thanks for sharing
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

MTPhono wrote:Outstanding phonograph/desk. And your signs and accessories are equally impressive! Thanks for sharing - hope to see them in person in the future.
Scott hop on over the to Oregon Coast and visit. You are always welcome!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I saw this machine in person during out OTAPS meetings. It's really stunning and impressive to see this actual.
Harvey Kravitz

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

phonogfp wrote:I wonder if the effigies represented someone in the family?
Interesting idea... I kind of think they are just fantasy carvings to look like Gothic or maybe even Renaissance characters. But wouldn't it be interesting if they were members of a family? I doubt we will ever know. There is not anything on or in the machine that would lead to an owner or even a sale. The lack of markings would likely not leave many clues in any archives that might exist from Columbia either. So it is doubtful anything could be found.