View of record collecting from 50 years ago

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Re: View of record collecting from 50 years ago

Post by larryh »

I sort of recall some of those names, but at that time I was not very connected to collecting circles. The APM was the only magazine type literature I subscribed too. I once visited Allen, I think it was in Brooklyn when in New York on a trip. Also in Kansas City in the very early 60's I met some collectors mainly at Salvation Army type stores who produced list that sold to collectors mostly overseas. I know I that at the time I was surprised that people actually paid those kinds of prices for old records!

A name from way back I have wanted to ask about for some time comes to mind. I believe his name was Ferguson. His literature and envelopes all had "original Edison Repair Man" on them. I got his name by writing RCA Victor about finding someone to restore a Phonograph Reproducer, his name was sent by them. It turned out to be pretty much of a joke. It sounded worse when it came back than when I sent it dashing my hopes for a really professional restoration. When I opened the head and removed the ring I found he had used "string" as the replacement gaskets. He may have been an elderly gentleman at the time that was connected to phonograph business 30 years previous but never knew for sure. Has anyone heard of him before? I can't recall the first name. Leonard sounds right for some reason?

Larry

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

You're probably referring to Clarence Ferguson of Chicago. He had been an Edison dealer back in the day and had a lot of NOS. The original literature he had preserved was impressive.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Yes that is most likely right, Clarence does rather ring a bell, and he was supposed to have been an Edison dealer or repair person at one point. A rather rare thing even then. Sadly I guess either age or lack of parts had become an issue in his quality of work. I used to still have a envelope and letterhead he send information on at one point, but It seems like I finally threw it out a few years ago when I cleared out lots of phonograph things I felt had no longer a purpose to keep. I will have to look and see though?

Larry