Rediscovering my Amberola 1A

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Rediscovering my Amberola 1A

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I bought my Amberola 23 years ago, in an antique store in a small town in Colorado. They had bought it at an estate sale in Nebraska a couple of weeks earlier. It was expensive for the time but as a friend told me when I called him from the antique shop, "it may seem expensive today but in a few years it'll be a bargain and you'll feel like a hero." He was right. I've never regretted the price, which seems cheap today. I just couldn't resist such a beautiful and all-original machine.

Obviously I couldn't carry it on the plane so the store owner put it in his truck and drove it to a nearby manufacturer, who crated it so securely it would probably have survived being dropped from a plane. It took me a couple of hours just to uncrate it.

I enjoyed it immensely for about 8 years, but as more machines came into the house I ultimately relegated it to my daughter's old bedroom (after she went off to college). There it sat in a kind of purgatory for the past 15 years, unloved, unplayed, and largely unseen. For many years I had another phonograph sitting on top of it, so I couldn't even open the lid. (I had sworn that I would never pile machines on machines but as new acquisitions ate up all remaining space, I had no choice.)

Now that I've downsized my collection a bit I'm enjoying rearranging things and becoming reacquainted with machines I have hardly looked at in years. The Amberola is definitely one of those.

I moved it into the living room again, and spent a few hours today cleaning and polishing it (I couldn't believe how dirty my rags were at the end). I also cleaned and lubricated the motor. The belt I had installed in 1995 was badly stretched and the machine sounded terrible. With a new belt it's back to normal. And wow, is normal ever impressive -- I had forgotten how great these sound! Especially with the lid closed. The clarity of my old black wax cylinders is stunning. This blows away all of my other 2-minute machines, and is a serious rival to my Opera for 4-minute records.

Needless to say I'm enjoying the rediscovery of both the machine and some familiar old records. It's almost like finding a new acquisition.
Attachments
IMG_2949.jpg
IMG_2947.jpg
IMG_2948.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Rediscovering my Amberola 1A

Post by melvind »

A stunning machine and wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it. Perhaps you should add this to the Featured Phonograph archive. It would be a nice addition.

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Rene,

That's a beautiful example.
Glad to see it being used again.

Gene

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Rene, that's a nice example of a 1A. They are indeed impressive machines, and when the reproducer is properly rebuilt, they play with impressive fidelity.

I'm glad you've "rediscovered" the joys of the 1A! One of the advantages of becoming older and with too many machines stashed around the house is such "rediscoveries." It's much cheaper than buying! :)

George P.

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Thanks for posting this.
IMO...the best phonograph ever produced.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I was looking at my Opera tonight and suddenly had a thought -- I wonder why Edison came out with this in late 1911, when the Amberola 1A had been available for nearly two years. The Amberola was far more modern with its built-in horn. And why did the Opera sell so well (not great, but 4,600 or so is still impressive)? Logically the Amberola design should have totally replaced horn phonographs yet there are more surviving Operas than contemporary Amberola 1A and 1B phonographs.

Yes, the Amberola was more expensive. Perhaps that's the main reason, but I would think a lot of people would have made the stretch to have the most advanced cylinder machine possible.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Maybe cylinder buyers were simply used to seeing cylinder machines as outside horn units and thought the Amberola looked too much like everything else.

Don't forget... if you wanted an inside horn machine you could get a Diamond Disc machine too. Maybe the big Amberolas just weren't an attraction being in the middle of those two choices. It seems the Amberolas sold better as tabletop machines.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I wouldn't think of the external horn Opera as a step backward in comparing it to the Amberola 1A and B.
Edison was promoting 4-minute wax and later Blue Amberols when the Opera was introduced. Its beltless mechanism was quieter with even less flutter. A smaller horn packed into a cabinet will compare unfavorably to the wooden Opera horn. The Opera had all good features at half the cost in the day, so yes, I can see why so many Operas were sold. If fashion trumped function then of course the Amberola would be picked if affordable.
That said, I have all three of these and most of the activity goes to the 1B and Opera for four minute cylinders.
The 1A gets all my 2-minute wax!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I suspect that you will discover what the current value of your Amberola is when this one comes up for auction.
https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Edison-Am ... d=40954311
I would be thrilled to own one. Yours is very beautiful, especially with that grill. :o
Amberola.jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

audiophile102 wrote:I suspect that you will discover what the current value of your Amberola is when this one comes up for auction.
https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Edison-Am ... d=40954311
I would be thrilled to own one. Yours is very beautiful, especially with that grill. :o
Well, keep in mind that the one coming up for auction has non-matching numbers, and there's also a 23% buyers penalty to be added to the selling price. :)

George P.