Victrola XII motor question.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Victrola XII motor question.

Post by phonogal »

I have a question about the motor in a Victrola XII. Is the 3 spring motor design for this machine, exclusive to this machine? If not, which other machines have this motor? The one I have has the winding shaft threaded end broken off in the crank handle. Any possible way to fix this? Thanks for your help, Jan.

phonogal
Victor IV

Re: Victrola XII motor question.

Post by phonogal »

I know someone knows the answer to this. Thanks :D

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

My understanding is that the motor is exclusive to the XII.

It's quite an odd looking beast as well.

I've heard of this damage before and it also happened to mine. Luckily for me it was only the smallest of pieces that broke off so the crank can still be threaded to the shaft. I think the only solution would be to remove the shaft and have a machinist remake the threaded end.
Vince
Youtube

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

The VV-XII motor was designed only for that model as mentioned. I had the exact same problem with mine regarding the crank end broken off. A gracious member of this Forum repaired it perfectly for me years ago. I will always be grateful for his offering to do that repair as it is not a simple repair.

Doug

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Thank you both. If anyone on here has done this repair, could you please tell me how you did it Mine has a small part of the threaded end intact. Thanks

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Could you please post pictures of the damage? I have a XII and would like to see what happened so that I can know what to look for and inspect mine for signs of this problem.
Thanks,

Jim

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

phonojim wrote:Could you please post pictures of the damage? I have a XII and would like to see what happened so that I can know what to look for and inspect mine for signs of this problem.
Thanks,

Jim
Hi Jim,
Here's my Forum posting link a while back with pictures of my VV-XII motor and the crank problem:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... II&start=0

Doug

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

phonogal wrote:Thank you both. If anyone on here has done this repair, could you please tell me how you did it Mine has a small part of the threaded end intact. Thanks
You may want to start by drilling a hole into the little broken piece of threaded shaft that is stuck inside the crank, then use the appropriate size 'easy-out' to remove the piece. You might get lucky as I did and still be able to attach the crank once the piece is removed.

The easy-out should come with the information regarding the exact size drill bit you should use. Just be careful not to damage the threads in the crank if any are exposed.
Vince
Youtube

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

My husband was able to get the broken end out of the handle with an easy out. There are not enough threads left on the shaft to get the crank on it.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Doug, thank you for the link.

Jim