Edison’s First Phonograph Restored to Original Form (After 1

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Edison’s First Phonograph Restored to Original Form (After 1

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The Thomas Edison National Historical Park just came out with an emailed newsletter that is not yet online. This update was the one I was most interested in seeing:
Edison’s First Phonograph Restored to Original Form (After 140 Years)

Curators recently installed a new replica mouthpiece onto Thomas Edison’s first phonograph. Historian David Giovannoni of Derwood, Maryland, led the effort to recreate the mouthpiece. Giovannoni collaborated with machinist Anton Stoelwinder to design replica parts, made of gutta-percha and brass. Stoelwinder custom-built the parts at his workshop in Gorredijk, Netherlands. (Above and center, the original phonograph on display in the Phonograph Gallery on the third floor of Building 5.)

Edison first conceived of the phonograph at his Menlo Park, New Jersey, Laboratory during July of 1877, and experimented with designs during the fall and winter. Machinist John Kruesi built the phonograph in early December 1877. Its original mouthpiece is long lost, but there is no doubt that one once existed on the machine. The mouthpiece attached to the recording element of the phonograph. To make a recording, Edison spoke directly into it. It helped ergonomically to channel sound pressure onto the recording diaphragm.

The best evidence of the mouthpiece design is a period engraving (bottom, left) of the phonograph published in Scientific American magazine on December 22, 1877. Similar mouthpieces appear in Edison’s 1877-1878 drawings of experimental phonographs, including United States patent 200,521.
I wrote about this mouthpiece in the December 2017 issue of The Antique Phonograph. It's great to see the original Kruesi prototype completed and displayed as it looked in December 1877.
Attachments
mouthpiece.jpg
mouthpiece1.jpg
kruesisciam.JPG
kruesisciam.JPG (59.65 KiB) Viewed 1653 times

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Edison’s First Phonograph Restored to Original Form (Aft

Post by gramophone-georg »

Very nice. Thanks for posting this. It's good to know that "ground zero" for the practical recording and playback of sound is restored. What a simple beginning, eh?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

That is interesting. I've long held the notion that Edison's first phonograph was lost. Don't remember where I got that from, but it was obviously wrong. :) That sucker would probably fetch a few bucks on e-bay.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

As familiar as we all are with the Scientific American engraving, it's still kind of jarring to see a photograph of the first talking machine with the mouthpiece in place!

All those books...Gelatt, Read & Welch, Chew, Frow, even Fabrizio & Paul (!), all need new images! :o

Thanks for posting this, Rene.

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Wolfe wrote:That is interesting. I've long held the notion that Edison's first phonograph was lost. Don't remember where I got that from, but it was obviously wrong. :) That sucker would probably fetch a few bucks on e-bay.
The disc tinfoil apparatus of 1878 is presumed lost; maybe that's what you were thinking.

George P.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

phonogfp wrote:
Wolfe wrote:That is interesting. I've long held the notion that Edison's first phonograph was lost. Don't remember where I got that from, but it was obviously wrong. :) That sucker would probably fetch a few bucks on e-bay.
The disc tinfoil apparatus of 1878 is presumed lost; maybe that's what you were thinking.

George P.
No, the original "Mary had a little lamb" tinfoil cylinder machine, is what I thought. The absence of photos I guess underscored that.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

There are lots of photos of the First Phonograph - including the books I mentioned. But they all lack the mouthpiece.

Rene Rondeau's 1999 book, Tinfoil Phonographs, is the most in-depth examination of the First Phonograph as it exists in West Orange. But like the other books, there's no mouthpiece! :)

George P.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Without steering the thread too far off topic, I'm afraid I don't see an actual photograph of this machine in Gelatt's book. There is a picture of Edison posing beside a tinfoil machine that looks like a later, more developed model, with a flywheel and a longer mandrel. He was to demonstrate the machine to President Hayes.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

There's no photograph of the original tinfoil phonograph in the Third Edition of The Fabulous Phonograph, but there's a half-page photo in the section between pages 64 and 65 in the First Edition. I don't have a copy of the Second Edition to check.

George P.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

phonogfp wrote:There's no photograph of the original tinfoil phonograph in the Third Edition of The Fabulous Phonograph, but there's a half-page photo in the section between pages 64 and 65 in the First Edition. I don't have a copy of the Second Edition to check.

George P.
The 2nd edition is what I have. No photograph in it, just the sketch as is shown upthread.