Victor II

Re: Hey! Look what I got!!!

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Thanks all!

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Beautiful! And I love the paper and lateral attachment that came with it. Congrats!

ehs004
Victor III

Post by ehs004 »

Marty,
I purchased mine for 3x as much and it had some nice extras with it , you got a great deal real well built and has early features like wood grain horn muting system added later and paper work!
Eric
Attachments
EDISON A 250.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Very nice purchase Marty. It is truly an elegant machine. Jerry B

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Was that 78 adapter made by Edison? I've heard that Edison made their own adapter very early before banning it, and very late when the needle cut Edisons came out.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Marty Bufalini wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:
Marty Bufalini wrote:Hardly used at all. Winds and plays really quiet. Purchased from the original family for $200! From Craig's list -- thanks to Jerry Van for alerting me to this. I'll be filling out the A-250 data base soon.
VERY nice, Marty. And to think that all this time I thought Jerry Van was useless... (JUST KIDDING, JERRY! :lol: ) I think that by Yankee Trader standards from time to time you may have overspent, though.

But seriously, I've never cared much for the imposing bulk of big DD machines but that is one I would have in a heartbeat. If I am not mistaken, that's even an original grille cloth. :shock: Very nice. I am trusting you'll be posting some YouTube of this playing records, yes? Pretty please?
I hadn't thought of posting on YouTube. Maybe.

This was one of the extremely rare times when Jerry was useful. I'm not expecting it to happen again anytime soon!!!
Rumors of my usefulness have been greatly exaggerated. I am useful maybe once or twice a year. If my wife finds out that I can be useful, it will bring about no end of trouble for me. :)

As for Marty getting this nice machine, it proves that even a blind :squirrel: gets the nut once in a while.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

Reference
“Was that 78 adapter made by Edison? I've heard that Edison made their own adapter very early before banning it, and very late when the needle cut Edison's came out.”

Edison did produce and sell a high-quality brass adaptor, retailing for $1.75, to play 78's on the Diamond Disk phonograph. They were very short-lived and withdrawn a year later when DD record sales began to decrease.

The Edison adaptor is exceptionally hard to find today.

The one displayed with the DD in this thread is not the Edison adapter.

The Frow DD book mentions the adapter, with a photo from an Edison piece, showing the adapter on a Victor record with the word "Victor" redacted. I can’t recall the Page number where it is referenced in the book.

You may also review this previous thread on DD adapters if interested:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 27#p182527

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

As I have mentioned on this forum before, I play DD records on my A250 almost every day and it's really fun. I replaced my reproducer's diaphragm with a True Tone diaphragm and the quality of the music reproduction improved considerably. Search the forum for the True Tone Diaphragm and consider buying one for your machine. Congratulations on finding a real great deal for a beautiful machine. :D
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Jerry Van, or two!!!

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Eric, how did you get the cabinet to look so nice?