Standard Talking Machine co. AA Style

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Standard Talking Machine co. AA Style

Post by Edisonfan »

I have found a couple Standard Talking Machine Style AA or AU Columbia open works phonographs for sale on eBay. At fairly decent prices. Would have considered buying one, but due to shortage of funds, and a credit card bill and Mortgage payment I had to pass. I know these machines are not rare, as I found three of them oneBay. Does anyone know about these machines? I figure since most outside horn machines, by Victor and Columbia are already high priced. I figured an AA or AU would be a better alternative.

Paul

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Standard Talking Machine co. AA Style

Post by PeterF »

They are, well, awful.

Certainly they're interesting to look at, because of the exposed mechanisms...but this also makes them prone to problems as decades of dust and grime have usually accumulated on the greasy components.

They play weakly if at all and often have speed fluctuations from the above problems that make them unlistenable.

The Standard version has the additional issue of the non-standard large spindle, which requires the use of the big-holed Standard brand discs, or regular ones that have had their holes enlarged by users. And those are often not centered, and that also makes them...unlistenable.

Wow I kinda ranted there. Yup, I do not like them, Sam I am.

Nothing wrong with them as display pieces, though. But if you were to save up funds to acquire one as one of very few machines or the only disc player in your collection, and to be listened to, there are far better and far more economical choices.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank You Peter. I figured I had better ask, before I spent any money.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

These are entry level machines. They are OK to play an occasional record, but not a serious machine. You can't wind the machine, while it is playing. The crank revolves backward while playing, and falls off. For a front mount machines, I would go with a Columbia AJ or AH. Sometimes you will find a client machine with a regular size spindle. For a Victor machine, a nice R, E, or M would be a good choice. The Columbia or Victor are robust, common, and fairly reasonable. A Columbia BN is a good choice for a rear mount machine. A Victor I, II, or III is another good choice, and are common and reasonable. I know where you are coming from with financial obligations. Maybe a Forum member has one of these machines for sale and allow a lay away. That's how I required a lot of my machines.
Harvey Kravitz

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank You Harvey! :D

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Good luck with your search. You'll find a good one. Be patient, and one will turn up under your terms and budget.
Harvey Kravitz

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The AA and AU are certainly not a machine for regular use but I think they are very interesting machine. They are an excellent machine to run so a novice can see how a spring motor with governor operates. They look primitive and are a compact example of a front mount machine. Like any entry level machine, you don't get top performance but you do get a good functioning machine. Jerry Blais