Question about correct cleaning of horn

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Question about correct cleaning of horn

Post by phonogal »

JerryVan wrote:The crane has a copper oxide finish on it, though much of the oxide layer is worn away, showing the copper beneath. It's made of steel & cast iron.

The "iridescent finish" inside the horn is just more tarnish. In other words, the inside is no different than the outside, finish wise.

If you want to polish it, I'd start with this. (It really works!)

I would NOT polish the crane.
The inside is definitely different than the outside. Hard to see in the pictures but it has some kind of "coating" or treatment on it.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

phonogal wrote:I just picked up a large brass mega petaled horn that needs a good cleaning. The outside is dull brass and I'd like to shine it up. The inside has an iridescent coating of some kind and I don't want to ruin it. How can I safely clean it? It also came with a brass heavy duty crane. I didn't know these were made other than nickel plated. This one has no signs that it ever had any plating. Thanks for your help.
If the horn is nickel plated, which it appears to be, I have had really great results using Flitz. It comes in tubes or in a small can. You rub it on with a soft cloth and then polish the grime away. It will not remove the plating, but it will remove dirt and oxidation well. It takes a bit of elbow grease and time, but I do it while watching TV and the times goes by pretty fast.

I think others will have better info on the crane. While Flitz might work for that too, I cannot say one way or the other.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

melvind wrote:
phonogal wrote:I just picked up a large brass mega petaled horn that needs a good cleaning. The outside is dull brass and I'd like to shine it up. The inside has an iridescent coating of some kind and I don't want to ruin it. How can I safely clean it? It also came with a brass heavy duty crane. I didn't know these were made other than nickel plated. This one has no signs that it ever had any plating. Thanks for your help.
If the horn is nickel plated, which it appears to be, I have had really great results using Flitz. It comes in tubes or in a small can. You rub it on with a soft cloth and then polish the grime away. It will not remove the plating, but it will remove dirt and oxidation well. It takes a bit of elbow grease and time, but I do it while watching TV and the times goes by pretty fast.

I think others will have better info on the crane. While Flitz might work for that too, I cannot say one way or the other.
I don't think it is nickel plated. I thought it might be when I saw the pictures of it posted for sale but when you see it in person it has a different look to it. It doesn't look like nickel that is worn, it just looks like a shiny iridescence.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That's definitely a Hawthorne & Sheble horn. I have a brass one myself, and they look great when polished! :)

George P.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Thanks George. I think I will polish the outside then just lightly clean the inside and see how that looks.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The less invasive, the better at first. I know we all know that for the most part around here, but I'd rather spend a little extra time starting with the mildest method before going on to something stronger so I can monitor possible damage. Again, that's a really cool horn. Good luck and let's see how it turns out when you're finished!

Sean

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

What a beautiful, and interesting combination! I hope you post pictures of the inside of that horn, after you've found a way to clean it. I'm mesmerized by the finish!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. I will post pictures after I get it done. Have a couple of other projects to finish up first. I think it's always better to give it a little time and thought before starting on it. I always want to jump right in and "fix" things but have found out that doesn't always work out the way I would hope. Thanks again, Jan

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

phonogal wrote:Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. I will post pictures after I get it done. Have a couple of other projects to finish up first. I think it's always better to give it a little time and thought before starting on it. I always want to jump right in and "fix" things but have found out that doesn't always work out the way I would hope. Thanks again, Jan
We've all been there. ;) You are taking the correct approach.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

If it's a brass horn it would look spectacular polished. But I'll agree with the caution comments. Once you start down that path there is no place to turn around. You are committed to see it through to the finish. Of course you could have it professionally polished. Jerry Blais