Help needed! Viva Tonal Columbia Grafonola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cinematichigh
Victor Jr

Help needed! Viva Tonal Columbia Grafonola

Post by cinematichigh »

Hi everyone!
The school I work in is being demolished and while I was cleaning out some cupboards I came across this Viva Tonal Columbia Grafonola and I'm looking for some advice on how to get it up and running.
Ive tested it and everything seems to work, the table rotates, the speaker speaks but when I rest the needle on a record it appears to be too heavy and slows the table down to a complete stop almost immediately, could anyone advise on why this could be? I've attached some photos of the inside and outside of the machine incase it offers up any clues.

Thanks!
DXMnJ8CVQ2iiKK6aCFcKzg.jpg
rbnCccNZTxWPLx31%nJfRA.jpg
6ZbPpkK2RV68r219nBg3Og.jpg
Attachments
ZtLTw87hQqGp8uI5rLO29A.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Help needed! Viva Tonal Columbia Grafonola

Post by phonogfp »

The main problem I see is the sound box (the part that holds the needle) is at the wrong angle on the tone arm. Gently rotate it clockwise until it stops. The needle should contact the record at about a 50-60 degree angle.

Also, be sure you are using a fresh needle. Steel needles were designed to be used once - then thrown away. A dull needle can drag a record to a stop.

The spring motor probably needs cleaning and proper lubrication too.

Good luck!

George P.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I'll also add - be sure you have wound it sufficiently. Most portables need to be fully wound in order to play even one record all the way through. Don't just think that 10 or 15 crank turn is enough. I own at least one portable that takes 70+ turns to be fully wound.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Just my $.02, you aren't trying to play any vinyl records, only shellac "78's", correct?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

All the above advice is valid, but even with the soundbox at the wrong angle, the motor should be able to cope with any record (except vinyl!) This is a very common problem with these machines, they are from the EMI factory (formerly the Gramophone Company) and the springs were lubricated with their infamous graphite grease, which has by now turned to something resembling cement. This causes the coils of the springs to stick together, thus limiting the springs' power. The spring needs to come out, all the old gunk removed, and fresh grease packed in. I have three of these machines and they all suffered the same problem. In case you need to know, it's a British model 204, and was the first model to be made after Columbia and His Masters' Voice merged in 1931. An identical model was issued at the same time with the HMV trade mark, model 97.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Although not directly related to the motor problems, the No.15A soundbox appears to have been crudely repaired with insulating tape.

There should be a thick red rubber insulator at the rear of the soundbox, held in place by a screws and a metal plate as shown here :
Attachments
15a.jpg