Unknown brand of a portable phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VictorVV-X
Victor II

Unknown brand of a portable phonograph

Post by VictorVV-X »

I spied this portable phonograph locally, and was wondering what brand it was, and perhaps the value of it.
Phonograph 1.jpg
Phonograph 2.jpg
It is a well equipt phonograph with a volume control and nickel/chrome plated motorboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
VictorVV-X

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Unknown brand of a portable phonograph

Post by gramophone-georg »

I believe it's a "PAL", made by Plaza. Does it have the little built in brush on the soundbox?

Most of these were offered as higher end department store brand phonos. Think Macy's. I've had several of these and they are fantastic, well built little machines!

Here's one in the case style all of mine have had:

"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

gramophone-georg wrote:I believe it's a "PAL", made by Plaza. Does it have the little built in brush on the soundbox?

Most of these were offered as higher end department store brand phonos. Think Macy's. I've had several of these and they are fantastic, well built little machines!

gramophone-george, I didn't see a brush on the soundbox, I haven't seen it in person, yet. Apparently it works well and sounds good. What is a good price on something like this? They want $100 for it.

Thank you very much.
VictorVV-X

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

VictorVV-X wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:I believe it's a "PAL", made by Plaza. Does it have the little built in brush on the soundbox?

gramophone-george, I didn't see a brush on the soundbox, I haven't seen it in person, yet. Apparently it works well and sounds good. What is a good price on something like this? They want $100 for it.

Thank you very much.
VictorVV-X
If it works fine and sounds good like they say I'd say it's worth it, but if there are any "Aw, Craps" beyond the case with the way it runs or sounds I'd offer less, maybe $60.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

gramophone-georg wrote:
VictorVV-X wrote:

Thank you very much.
VictorVV-X
If it works fine and sounds good like they say I'd say it's worth it, but if there are any "Aw, Craps" beyond the case with the way it runs or sounds I'd offer less, maybe $60.
gramophone-george, thank you very much. I really appreciate it.
VictorVV-X

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Something to consider...

This style of portable phonograph is of the "plywood & leatherette" variety, common in the 1930's & '40s.

Examples in good condition can be viable, enjoyable players.

But, if you're spending upwards of $100, you might consider looking for a Victrola 2-55 or 2-65, which are metal-bodied covered with padded leatherette, and are equipped with an Orthophonic sound-box.

They incorporate Victor's legendary bullet-proof build quality, and if you get one in good condition, cleaned and serviced, you will not wear it out.

I'm not trying to steer you away from the PAL, just suggesting that if the price is high, there are better machines for the money.

Good luck !
De Soto Frank

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

De Soto Frank wrote:Something to consider...

This style of portable phonograph is of the "plywood & leatherette" variety, common in the 1930's & '40s.

Examples in good condition can be viable, enjoyable players.

But, if you're spending upwards of $100, you might consider looking for a Victrola 2-55 or 2-65, which are metal-bodied covered with padded leatherette, and are equipped with an Orthophonic sound-box.

They incorporate Victor's legendary bullet-proof build quality, and if you get one in good condition, cleaned and serviced, you will not wear it out.

I'm not trying to steer you away from the PAL, just suggesting that if the price is high, there are better machines for the money.

Good luck !
De Soto Frank, thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.
I'm the type of collector that likes to find items as I look; I rarely look for a specific type or model. Even condition wise, I buy accordingly to what I find at the time. I will give this phonograph some thought, though, and see if I can talk the seller down at all.
Thank you again for your advice, I really do appreciate it. I am still new to phonographs, having collecting mainly typewriters for many years, so this greatly helps me and keeps my feet grounded.

VictorVV-X

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

On an aesthetic level the chrome plated motor board gives this some punch- looks might outweigh performance

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

estott wrote:On an aesthetic level the chrome plated motor board gives this some punch- looks might outweigh performance
I have one, which I've posted about on this and other forums -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=16985
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
The performance compares well with most of the high quality portables of the late 1920s/early 1930s. This gives a pretty good indication: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJi4rv9_A5A

The sound box, motor, etc. were supplied by Paillard. The horn, itself, is metal and is the same length and has about the same taper as the one used on the Victor 2-55 portable. As with the 2-55, it's soldered to the underside of the motor-board, which is plated metal.

Judging from the YouTube videos I've seen, the the exact same chrome-plated (Paillard) components were installed in a number of branded portables, such as Pal and (US) Decca, in addition to quite a few "unbranded" models, such as the one I own.

OrthoFan

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

OrthoFan wrote:
estott wrote:On an aesthetic level the chrome plated motor board gives this some punch- looks might outweigh performance
I have one, which I've posted about on this and other forums -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=16985
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
The performance compares well with most of the high quality portables of the late 1920s/early 1930s. This gives a pretty good indication: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJi4rv9_A5A

The sound box, motor, etc. were supplied by Paillard. The horn, itself, is metal and is the same length and has about the same taper as the one used on the Victor 2-55 portable. As with the 2-55, it's soldered to the underside of the motor-board, which is plated metal.

Judging from the YouTube videos I've seen, the the exact same chrome-plated (Paillard) components were installed in a number of branded portables, such as Pal and (US) Decca, in addition to quite a few "unbranded" models, such as the one I own.

OrthoFan
Yes, exactly. These perform on par with Orthophonic and Viva Tonal portables without the issues. The mechanisms and reproducers are extremely well built. The chrome motor board and works are quite stunning.